• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No Micro SD card slot, no sale

Mike nailed the entire issue in one post. Tonight, driving to work, trying to listen to Google play radio and it just sat there. I have a half hour drive. That sucker sat there not playing nearly the entire trip! And I had 4g to boot! It took so long I forgot I even had it up waiting to play and almost to work the thing starts playing. I nearly jumped out of the seat! It took that long to get going....ridiculous! I want it when I hit 'Play', not half hour later. This is why the cloud isn't the answer...

Upvote 0
This is why the cloud isn't the answer...
That, and Google is steering everyone towards the cloud while at the same time the carriers are dumping unlimited data options.
Plus, until recently, I lived pretty far out in the country. On my 45 minute drive to work, I would barely have a 3G signal, and there were stretches of road where I'd have no signal at all. So combine metered data with known bad signal areas and the cloud just isn't a viable option. Once it is reliable and cheap, the maybe, but for now I prefer have my files in my device.
That said, while I'm disappointed that there is no card slot in the Maxx, I'm not devistated by it. the 24GB or so of available storage was enough on my Galaxy Nexus, so I can't imagine I'll exhaust the same space on my Maxx. More would be better, of course, but I think I'll manage just fine with that. The above card reader will also be nice in a pinch, but it would be nice if phones started including a second micro USB so that using an accessory of that type wouldn't prevent you from charging at the same time.

Upvote 0
...so that using an accessory of that type wouldn't prevent you from charging at the same time.

This is why adding storage like that also isn't a answer. Watch movie, battery drains and dies because ya can't plug it in. I don't care much for Sammy phones but I guess I'm gonna have to go that route. I checked em out at the VZW store yesterday. Really liked the Maxx and the Ultra, but if they don't have what I need, I can't buy em.....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones