• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No Military Experience

The UK has a worse military than France, although both are quite good. Sure there needs to be more self sufficiency, but that doesnt require increased spending. Lets not forget other NATO countries who are doing there best; Estonia, Canada, Turkey etc.

International law is international law. Its agreed with other states. The UN is not a government.

So nobody should tell Koreans to stop being racist or Ghanaians to stop hanging homosexuals?

Doesn't change the fact that we foot the Bill for most of Europes Security. I mean we the people do with our tax money. My opinion is that we should be repaid or stop doing it. The 3rd option is we take control of the territory we defend and offset the expense by collectting a tax.

The UN is a governing body. They decide International Law and enforce penalties. In the US no law can supercede the Constitution period. The UN does this and we should not be tolerating it period.

My opinion what goes on in some one elses Nation is their business. Diplomacy is the way to take on human rights issues. So yes American Domestic Policy really isn't any one elses business.

Upvote 0
Doesn't change the fact that we foot the Bill for most of Europes Security. I mean we the people do with our tax money. My opinion is that we should be repaid or stop doing it. The 3rd option is we take control of the territory we defend and offset the expense by collectting a tax.
Most? Lol next you'll throw out the American Aid argument. I think a lot of Poles or Norwegians would be angered by that kind of sentiment.

The UN is a governing body. They decide International Law and enforce penalties. In the US no law can supercede the Constitution period. The UN does this and we should not be tolerating it period.
The UN relies on treaties between states...
Federal law is not made by treaties between states. In Europe changes to the constitution are made that way, but laws themselves are passed by Parliament.

My opinion what goes on in some one elses Nation is their business. Diplomacy is the way to take on human rights issues. So yes American Domestic Policy really isn't any one elses business.
Well, I mean.. if America sneezes the world catches a cold. So even apart from my empathy with other people, I have my own selfish reasons for not wanting the US to go down the toilet.

Upvote 0
Most? Lol next you'll throw out the American Aid argument. I think a lot of Poles or Norwegians would be angered by that kind of sentiment.

Europe was done when the US entered WWII. The UK was hanging on because the US and Canada were propping them up. If we hadn't intervened every European Nation would have fallen and since that time we have spent a fortune we could have used at home to secure that freedom. In the 90's we had to intervene in Europe again because Europe wouldn't do anything but sit on its collective hands while genocide was being committed in your backyard.

This just reaffirmed that Europe need not worry about defense the US will keep the peace in Europe.

So keep right on spending the bulk of your budget on social programs we will dig a little deeper to fund your security.

Security that extends to all of Europe right up to the Border of Russia.

Don't worry it doesn't offend us when Europeans spit in our faces with comments about how it is wrong that our Military budget is bigger than any one else's. Just keep living the Liberal high life Europe and don't forget to look down your noses at our ignorant American political system while your at it. We are so fat and lazy we won't get the high humor any ways.

The UN relies on treaties between states...
Federal law is not made by treaties between states. In Europe changes to the constitution are made that way, but laws themselves are passed by Parliament.

Call it what ever you want, it boils down to the same thing. The UN can not be granted by any means any authority that supercedes the Constitution and that in fact is a goal of many member states. Ever pushing further into our business. They see the UN as a way to level the playing field.

Well, I mean.. if America sneezes the world catches a cold. So even apart from my empathy with other people, I have my own selfish reasons for not wanting the US to go down the toilet.

Well how about this then we will put our Empathy for other people in check and worry about our own needs at home and we won't go down the toilet. Its all the cost from the dead weight we are dragging that is taking us down.

There is no recouping the wealth we have expended over the last century since we left Isolationism. What do we actually get for it, every one around the world with their noses smack in our domestic matters. Very often with nothing helpful to say.

I think its in our best "selfish" interest to let the rest of you sink or swim on your own.

Upvote 0
Europe was done when the US entered WWII. The UK was hanging on because the US and Canada were propping them up. If we hadn't intervened every European Nation would have fallen and since that time we have spent a fortune we could have used at home to secure that freedom. In the 90's we had to intervene in Europe again because Europe wouldn't do anything but sit on its collective hands while genocide was being committed in your backyard.

One must keep history in perspective, the US was done without French aid. It was and is to the American interest to ally with Europe as was France's interest to support the insurgency in the colonies.

France in the American Revolutionary War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Following the Declaration of Independence, the American Revolution was well received in France, both by the general population and the educated classes. The Revolution was perceived as the incarnation of the Enlightenment Spirit against the "English tyranny." Benjamin Franklin, dispatched to France in December of 1776 to rally his support, was welcomed with great enthusiasm, as numerous Frenchmen embarked for the Americas to volunteer for the war effort. Motivated by the prospect of glory in battle or animated by the sincere ideals of liberty and republicanism, volunteers included the likes of Pierre Charles L'Enfant, and Lafayette, who enlisted in 1776.

The French had become interested in the American Revolution from the outset. They saw the revolution as an opportunity to strip Britain of her North American colonies in retaliation for the loss of French North American colonies at the hands of the British during the French and Indian War. At first, French support was covert; French agents were sent to Great Britatin and the Thirteen Colonies, military aid (predominantly gunpowder) was sent to the rebels through the legitimate French company Hortalez & Cie. By 1777, over five million livres of aid was sent to the American rebels, including several French officers who sought adventure and glory such as Marquis de Lafayette.[1]

Upvote 0
Wow a history lesson. Now put that in the perspective you ask me to. When is that debt repaid? We aided them in their revolution less than 10 later, twice we have fought a world war. Our grand parents gave so much to it they had to ration food here. My Mother's family has 5 members buried in Europe. We have tipped out our pockets to fund their security every since. 67 years we have kept them safe from an Empire that was as bad as the Germans, one that reached all the way to France's border. You think Russia has given up its dreams of Empire? Do you honestly believe that died when the wall fell?

Funny France is the only Nation in Europe that can make any claim that they have ever helpded us. Have they not also benefited most from us?

Tell me this though, when you travel in Western Europe where is the worst Anti-American sentiment? I have and will tell you, France! The most unfriendly place I've evebeen.

So I ask again when can we call that debt repaid?

Upvote 0
Brace yourself Europe I'm not a fringe minority. Our politicians are scrambling to cut our domestic social programs to prop up the defense budget that let's you spend your money on your social programs instead of your own defense. You are literally taking food out of the mouths of American Children and they try to scare us into cutting things like food stamps to fund your defense but America is opening its eyes and the writing is on the wall.

Defence spending cuts: The informed majority | The Economist

HISTORIC SHIFT IN U.S. DEFENSE STRATEGY WILL HAVE MAJOR IMPACT ON EUROPE | EA April 2012

World Military Spending
Pay attention to the Madison quote at the top of this one.

http://reason.com/archives/2012/02/14/the-invincible-military-industrial-compl

The Fiscal Year 2013 Defense Budget: A Report Card | Center for American Progress

Upvote 0
Wow a history lesson. Now put that in the perspective you ask me to. When is that debt repaid? We aided them in their revolution less than 10 later, twice we have fought a world war. Our grand parents gave so much to it they had to ration food here. My Mother's family has 5 members buried in Europe. We have tipped out our pockets to fund their security every since. 67 years we have kept them safe from an Empire that was as bad as the Germans, one that reached all the way to France's border. You think Russia has given up its dreams of Empire? Do you honestly believe that died when the wall fell?

Funny France is the only Nation in Europe that can make any claim that they have ever helpded us. Have they not also benefited most from us?

Tell me this though, when you travel in Western Europe where is the worst Anti-American sentiment? I have and will tell you, France! The most unfriendly place I've evebeen.

So I ask again when can we call that debt repaid?

There is and was no debt to repay. Countries ally with each other because it's to their respective interest to do so.

America did not aid any faction during the French revolution.

The US entered WWI in April 1917, war was all but over by September 1918 when Bulgaria signed an armistice. The US was not a deciding factor, but did hasten the end.

Per World War II casualties - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia during WWII, Poland had the highest deaths at over 16% of population.

Rationing was common everywhere.

After WWII the US embraced a communist containment policy which included military aid. Can't blame Europe for our policy which also benefitted the domestic defense industry.

Depends where in France you travelled, it helps to speak French or at least travel with someone who does.

Upvote 0
Brace yourself Europe I'm not a fringe minority. Our politicians are scrambling to cut our domestic social programs to prop up the defense budget that let's you spend your money on your social programs instead of your own defense. You are literally taking food out of the mouths of American Children and they try to scare us into cutting things like food stamps to fund your defense but America is opening its eyes and the writing is on the wall.

Defence spending cuts: The informed majority | The Economist

HISTORIC SHIFT IN U.S. DEFENSE STRATEGY WILL HAVE MAJOR IMPACT ON EUROPE | EA April 2012

World Military Spending
Pay attention to the Madison quote at the top of this one.

The Invincible Military-Industrial Complex - Reason.com

The Fiscal Year 2013 Defense Budget: A Report Card | Center for American Progress

Military Industrial Complex openly and now secretly contributes generously to our politicians, so don't expect any major downsizing.

The big lie now being promoted is that military spending is now "only 3.6% of GDP. It's all is how one defines military spending.

United States federal budget - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones