1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

No mobile network after upgrade

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Tau, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Tau

Tau Lurker

Hi all,
    I am using Orange and have just bought a galaxy S2 unlocked but the sim card is not showing the 3g symbol dispite showing signal strength. Tried factory reset, 'use packet data' and 'data roaming' are enabled, APN is set to 'orange internet' but cannot select network operator. Seems the phone is recognising the sim but no mobile network. Network is ok on old phone (LG GT540)

Any ideas? is it the sim or the phone?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

Go into menu>settings>about phone>status

You should have a network provider and an IMEI number in there. If not, (ie it says unknown) try shutting the phone down, pulling out the battery and sim and give sim card a good clean and try again

If its always showing as unknown then it sounds ominous to me. Seems like the update buggered up your /efs folder. This is the folder that holds your IMEI number amongst other things. Could be terminal unless you have a backup. If you upgraded via Kies then you should be ok to take it back to Orange for a replacement.

3. Tau

Tau Lurker

The IMEI number is there but service state is saying 'out of service'

4. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

Well thats a bonus.
    Are you sure the network isnt down temporarily in your area?
    Is there anyone else there with you on the same network? Do they get coverage?
    Check your provider's website for any service faults.

Tau likes this.
  5. Tau

Tau Lurker

Just tried the sim in my LG GT540 again and all is working.

Thanks for the quick response, I think i'll drop into the orange shop see if they can throw any light on it.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews