1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

No mobile network! Phone or network issue?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Rileyjsg, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Rileyjsg

Rileyjsg Newbie

I'm seeing this 'no mobile network' error where there is absolutely no network at all, 3G or otherwise - where even the reception bar is gone as well. When this happens the notification shows like a 'no exit' icon.

Restarting solves it right off the bat, so it isn't a crippling defect.

When I woke up last night, this happened again, meaning the phone was in idle mode all night without any apps running.

Its doesn't happen often, maybe once or twice a month? Its random as well.

I've sent it for servicing like a month back for unrelated problems and they did a 'QC' check or something, meaning its all working fine. I'm running 4.03 (I9100DXLPA) btw.

I'm fine living with it, just a mild inconvenience after all, but I would like to know if its a known issue, a problem with the phone, my sim card or whatever else.

I've read some threads and some nexus users are saying its a known issue? Does it apply to the S2?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Russell Ng

Russell Ng Android Expert

I get those in a no network zone like basements and lifts. Some areas also happen to be very bad reception so that could happen too. But usually I don't need to reboot the phone for the line to come back.

Not really sure what can be causing it to randomly go into no network mode in a good signal area.

Rileyjsg likes this.
  3. jaliy

jaliy Android Expert

my s2 does the same thing. usually signal comes back within a min, but sometimes it lasts longer. r u by any chance using a canadian carrier?

4. ironass

ironass Extreme Android User

I notice from your details that you are in Singapore on Android 4.0.3.

Assuming that you are not, "rooted", there are a couple of things you can do...

1. Ensure that you have the latest, correct, up-to-date, APN settings from your carrier.

2. Try the following which can help improve signal...

5. Rileyjsg

Rileyjsg Newbie

Nope sorry, Singapore carrier. Anyway I tried waiting for it to come back up for like a good while, maybe 15 mins or more, and its in a good signal area too, before restarting it. Funny thing is that it works right after I restart, meaning that e network is probably ok, so it might be e phone or my sim card even, I'm not sure.

6. Rileyjsg

Rileyjsg Newbie

No I'm not rooted. Right, sounds like a good idea. I will try these steps when it happens again. I'll try to post if it works. Thank you!

7. wengyew90

wengyew90 Newbie

Or perhaps you may try to switch on airplane mode before reverting it. It works for me previously

Rileyjsg likes this.
  8. jaliy

jaliy Android Expert

Just had another random outage right after a call
    Had to reboot to get signal back

9. Rileyjsg

Rileyjsg Newbie

Oh right, why didn't I think of that.=| thanks man I will try ironass and your solution when it happens again.

10. Rileyjsg

Rileyjsg Newbie

Does that happens often? Seems like most of not all s2 users experience it one time or another. Seems like an issue with the phone I guess.

11. jaliy

jaliy Android Expert

It's. An issue with latest firmware which I'm trying to get rid off

12. ironass

Not quite right jaliy, in your case, you are running XEU, UK, firmware which contains a modem, optimised for the UK and trying to make it work in Canada. Something that has caused issues for other Canadians in your position. This has been explained to you in great detail in your post, here.

To put it bluntly... if you had bought a Canadian, "M", variant phone which is designed with the Canadian networks in mind, you would be experiencing a better signal. ;)

13. jaliy

jaliy Android Expert

If i buy from expansys.ca which version do i have?

14. ironass

Type into your dial pad... *#1234#

and give the four lines of information shown there.

PDA:

PHONE:

CSC:

Build info:

15. ironass

So, you are running XEU firmware which is the Samsung CSC code for the unbranded, UK. See post #2, here

Since you have never, by your own admission, rooted your phone and have never flashed it with an alternative firmware via Odin and have only updated via Kies, which will only update the firmware your phone came with... then the answer to your question is that you were sold an SGSII with XEU, UK, firmware.

16. jaliy

jaliy Android Expert

wut other version of s2 r there?
    is there north america version?

17. ironass

There's loads of others for North America apart from the M variant. Just take a look through the Android Forum list, here. Nearly every North American network has got its own version of the original Galaxy SII.

see this video from last year... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5rMxf_4l7A

18. Rileyjsg

Rileyjsg Newbie

I tried the *#1234#. My csc say its a singapore version so I wonder why is there still an issue with the network? is it just another quirk with this phone then?

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews