• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No more able to open HTML files on Chrome with Android 11

jchirag21

Lurker
Jan 8, 2021
Hi,

I have a business scenario where I have to open an HTML with browser on my Android Google Pixel 3XL file.
I have been using below method to do the same
By pointing the browser at the file you want with a URL of the format
file:///path/to/file.html
but after upgrading my Android to 11 the method is no longer working , getting below error

Access to the file was denied
The file at file:///sdcard/download/UniversalLink.html is not readable. It may have been removed, moved, or file permissions may be preventing access.

ERR_ACCESS_DENIED

Can anyone help me how I can open html file now with Android 11

You can put your documents into the folder Android/data/com.android.chrome/files/Download/ in the internal storage. It's absolute path is /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.android.chrome/files/Download/ or /sdcard/Android/data/com.android.chrome/files/Download/. This is the location where Chrome stores any downloaded files and therefore, this the only location where Chrome can access the files. But remember, uninstalling Chrome will delete this directory.

Upvote 0
Hi Dannydet
Great reply !!! spent so much time on it. now I can access a file if I place this directly in Chrome file:///storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.android.chrome/files/Download/Final_Days.html

but if I try to open it from HTML href - I got block with
about:blank#blocked

also when trying HTML - window.open(.....)

I gave all permission I could find.....

any idea what I miss?

many thanks !!!!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones