1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

No more blue bars

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jhonb, Dec 11, 2013.

1. jhonb

jhonb Android Enthusiast

Ever since I upgraded to 4.4, I noticed that the blue in my WiFi and cell bars are gone. They are plain white. Any reason?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

That's just the new look... gone are the blues and in with the whites! I'm not sure if I'm a fan... it makes it difficult to see if there's any WiFi activity! :(

3. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

Google said they changed it because the average user doesn't really pay attention to whether the bars are grey or blue etc. It apparently saves resources on redraws too.

You can still see activity in the pull down toggles though?

egDonald and D-U-R-X like this.
  4. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker

Didn't realise this!

Yeah... still preferred it the other way... liked being able to just see if it was active. Sure I'll get used to it - not going to matter much if I flash a custom ROM anyway :)

El Presidente likes this.
  5. bjacks12

bjacks12 Android Expert

I thought the blue looked really nice. It was part of the draw for me coming from touchwiz to stock android.

But I am now used to the white, and the transparent status bar and nav bar make it worth it.

6. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

I think this is the bigger part of the push for the change. It may seem insignificant, but the OS was previously having to actively update connection state and activity indicators on the status bar no matter what else was going on. That adds up to a lot of wasted resource usage for something that, as mentioned, the average user probably doesn't even really pay attention to. Moving the indicators to the Quick Toggles page makes sure the data is still available for us geeks without wasting resources when the user isn't actively interested in the status.

El Presidente likes this.
  7. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert

Anyone else have trouble seeing the new black-on-black (at least until you're around 50% charged) lighting bolt charging indicator? I really struggle to see it, particularly in the car when the phone's that bit too far away for my aging eyes

8. egDonald

egDonald Well-Known Member

The black on dark gray charging lightning bolt isn't too bad for me. I can see how it can difficult to see though.

However, if it is trying to determine if charging is happening or not, you could always look at the lock screen, it should note charging or not

9. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert

True, but the time I most want to see it is when I'm using turn-by-turn (it needs to be charging or it's going to die before I reach my destination) and messing around with the phone is not only a PITA, it can be illegal ;)

Nexus 4 Forum

The Nexus 4 release date was November 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, and 2100mAh battery.

November 2012
Release Date
Reviews