• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No more discounts for Alltel plans

irishjoeyo

Android Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2010
This might be in another thread, but I didn't find it after searching so please don't hang me if it is. =)

Apparently, Verizon has recently enacted a new policy that disallows "corporate" discounts (e.g. through your employer) on Alltel plans. Since Verizon's acquisition of Alltel, I have kept the same plan that I had on Alltel. I've even renewed my contract and had three different phones. Through it all, I've maintained a "corporate" discount. In November, I switched employers to one who offers a different discount (15% instead of 19%), but nothing else changed on my end. I noticed that I had not been receiving my discount, even though I had received confirmation both of my eligibility and of the discount's application to my account via e-mail from Verizon. I spoke with two CSRs and one supervisor and each of them told me that, because I have an old Alltel plan, I am not eligible to use "corporate" discounts on it. The supervisor said that this was news to her and that she had only learned about this policy after I inquired about why I had not been receiving the discount. From what she could tell, the policy went into effect in October, but she wasn't 100% certain.

I think that this is pretty crappy of Verizon to do this to people mid-contract and without notification. Seems like another way to sway people off of their older plans and onto their new, more expensive plans where you get less for more $$. :(

It's also an easy way out of thr contract if you want omee, with no ETF. If they change the contract they have to give you the choice of accepting it or cancellation.

Maybe, maybe not. That depends on whether or not discounts are considered to be a part of the contract (my guess is that they are not) and the extent to which Verizon can make changes without allowing customers out of their contracts ETF-free.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones