• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No more Twinkies, Snowballs, Ho-Hos or Ding Dongs

Interesting. How can they just go on strike suddenly and the company is going bankrupt. They have been going under all along, probably from the top execs skimming.

I read a news article that stated that Hostess has filed for bankruptcy twice since the early 2000's. It looks like they're throwing in the towel, now.

So the blame can't rest squarely on the unions (specifically the Bakers' union) as it sounds like this company hasn't been managed effectively. Although the unions are going to get the most of the blame, and maybe unjustly so. I'm sure the top execs gave themselves very large bonuses and pay raises. But the unions did ask for too much. So it was a case of mutually assured destruction and greed rules the day.

Upvote 0
I think it's a plot to destabilize western cultures. I mean a world without twinkies is just unsettling. Governments will fall, chaos rule, the masses will riot, cats & dogs will start living together...... Anarchy. Pure Anarchy.

^This.

I guess that the Mayans were right after all.

America has been exporting its "culture" enough

Takes two to tango.

When others import and buy less, we'll export and sell less.

Reactions: treb1797
Upvote 0
I read a news article that stated that Hostess has filed for bankruptcy twice since the early 2000's. It looks like they're throwing in the towel, now.

So the blame can't rest squarely on the unions (specifically the Bakers' union) as it sounds like this company hasn't been managed effectively. Although the unions are going to get the most of the blame, and maybe unjustly so. I'm sure the top execs gave themselves very large bonuses and pay raises. But the unions did ask for too much. So it was a case of mutually assured destruction and greed rules the day.

The blame for them finally going under can be 100% put on the BCTGM. Yes they were in trouble before but the Teamsters agree to pay-cuts in order to help Hostess survive and rebuild. If the BCTGM had agreed to the same deal then they wouldn't be in this mess.

If you are throwing around blame for Hostess getting into the mess from the beginning then of course you can blame management some but management didn't cause this last issue.

Upvote 0
The judge has ordered the owners and the union back to the table to try one last time to come to an agreement. I really don't think the owners want to save the company. They would rather sell off the brands and take the money and run, rather than go through trying to emerge from bankruptcy. They get the added bonus of giving the unions a black eye on the way out. Owners also won't have to look like the bad guys for shipping the jobs to China, which is probably inevitable. Shame about the jobs, but all of those snacks are terrible in my opinion. They taste stale no matter how fresh they are.

Upvote 0
I saw a piece on CNN about a week ago with one of the striking employees.

The union stance was based upon the employees had about 20% of their income withheld for pension fund that Hostess never put the $ into; the claim was that Hostess essentially was robbing employees.

I don't know the whole story but I can see the anger/frustration if this is true.

Reactions: Gmash
Upvote 0
Sad tp say that is very common, pension funds are the last to get paid after a company starts to fail, banks and everyone will get paid first, if there is any left, then a pension might get paid out on a small % of the original.

why you never do company run pension or stock retirement, any conflict of intrest, will mean you lose.

control your own money.

besides pensions, taxes and SS money often doesn't get paid either, but you just don't see a loss as the GOV doesn't make you pay for what they took from your check for that but never sent in.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones