• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root No more wifi tethering

Yes indeed. I would think a lot of movies would do it. The average movie is between a gig to a gig and a half. Some are around the high 600mb size but they are few. Supposedly they are not capping our data but if you are watching 4 or 5 movies a month, that could well be your problem.

Since you did receive the message, I would cease the higher data usage for awhile. It would suck if they revoked you.

I used to use Virgin Mobile to watch Netflix. I had unlimited data but it throttled back to the point of ridiculous after 2.5GB.

Needless to say, I watched 3 or 4 movies and then got throttled. So I only did that once. Lol

Upvote 0
In February I rooted my first prevail and constantly teathered and downloaded seasons, movies etc. over Boosts/Sprints 3G & let me tell you I used at least 12 gigs of data in Feb. I remember because I used the Norton Mobile Utilities App. that keeps track of data & minutes used etc. & I always wondered if they were ever gonna catch on! Honestly Boost just recently changed there policy about data usage, supposedly any usage over 2.5 gigs data will be slowed to 256kbps which Im sure wont even be that!!! So It seems Boost is finally paying attention, they suck!!!

Upvote 0
In February I rooted my first prevail and constantly teathered and downloaded seasons, movies etc. over Boosts/Sprints 3G & let me tell you I used at least 12 gigs of data in Feb. I remember because I used the Norton Mobile Utilities App. that keeps track of data & minutes used etc. & I always wondered if they were ever gonna catch on! Honestly Boost just recently changed there policy about data usage, supposedly any usage over 2.5 gigs data will be slowed to 256kbps which Im sure wont even be that!!! So It seems Boost is finally paying attention, they suck!!!

If you didn't notice, that policy was put into place with the addition of 4g service on boost

Upvote 0
I tether almost every day, have not got a warning yet.

My brother uses FoxFi, he claims the addon lets you run your phone as a proxy server and the carrier (in his case verizon) can't tell if your tethering or not.

A proxy won't matter if you're still burning through a huge amount of data. Another issue is if said proxy is a static proxy or if they change it often. If it's static they can definitely figure out that IP and anyone connecting to it is going to get the shaft.

Upvote 0
Another issue is if said proxy is a static proxy or if they change it often.

I don't think FoxFi uses a public proxy, it just makes the phone a proxy. The concept is the phone is doing all the page requesting, and all traffic looks like its from the phone itself.

But as you said, if they are looking at data usage only, then the above is not going to work.

Upvote 0
I should have classified when I first replied to this thread. I'm actually reading it because I got this message as well and yes I have been using extremely excessive amounts of data.

My phone has been serving as my home internet for quite some time (pretty much since I first posted the Wi-Fi tether in infrastructure mode and I used pda net for a while before that).

For an idea of my data use, I have vps that I'm ssh'd into about 12 hours a day running a minecraft server I'm connected to almost as much and minecraft blazes through data (nearly 1mb/min). We watch YouTube and movies and use Pandora and well yeah. I'm not surprised to have gotten the message. And I'll be getting some real internet soon because of it.

Upvote 0
Yeah they are going to notice excessive amounts of data over several months and have probably been keeping an eye on you and then sent out the message. I rarely use the data on my phone because I am constantly stuck on 2g aka 1x and not 3g I see 3g only a sliver amount of time according to opensignalmap. I havent really gone any where where I would need a lot of data lately either. Been losing and gaining my connection constnatly when bike riding and since I normally take the same roads its always doing that so I have switched to listening to audiobooks instead of streaming Slacker. Can still stream at home on wifi tho.

Upvote 0
LOL i never saw this thread, I'm using Samsung Transform Ultra, but same tethering applies to prevail. So yeah.. Well i got the same message and i saw a lot of people say that they have used excessive amounts of data and never got caught i've had my plan for about a year now and got it down and i've been using the tether apps for about 6+ months or so but that was just regular browsing and i still got caught with that same message XD

Upvote 0
Got that message a few moths ago lol and I was sacred at first but started to tether again I just can't in without it lol, I guess what happened to me was that I moved from foxfi to a free app on the market and after a few uses I got caught, lol my lesson was to stick to apps that you're sure off and that works

Sent From My Phone
Using Xparent ICS App
-Asus TF700 User-

Upvote 0
Got that message a few moths ago lol and I was sacred at first but started to tether again I just can't in without it lol, I guess what happened to me was that I moved from foxfi to a free app on the market and after a few uses I got caught, lol my lesson was to stick to apps that you're sure off and that works

Sent From My Phone
Using Xparent ICS App
-Asus TF700 User-

Would you care to share your method of tethering? :thinking:

Upvote 0
only notice I got about it was that they where changing the data terms slightly for 3G data. Now they have an amount of data you can reach within in a certain time line then your throttled back until the next month if I remember it correctly. Still I've used my phone to wi-fi tether and haven't got any other notice and connect to my computers, Nintendo 3DS, and Play Station 3 all at the same time several times and nothing. Plus I mainly use it for Netflix which I could watch on my phone too but still much easier on a bigger screen to watch. So I'd guess you somehow got yourself flagged. The main thing would be how. Maybe it is how you rooted your phone and the tether app your using. personally I use ctmod 3.75.2 Final and WiFi Tether for Root Users. Anyway thought I'd say what I knew about the situation while I was here.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones