1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General No much interest in this phone????

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Anthony1970, May 1, 2012.

1. Anthony1970

Anthony1970 Member
    None

Dec 8, 2010
    Doesnt seem to be so far. I have seen only a couple of video reviews and no written reviews. It has been out only ten days but I expected to at least to see 1 written review by now. Also there doesnt seem to be much interest here. What gives?? It seems to be a decent mid android. The 5 mp camera is pretty good for a phone at this price point. Did the bug that was in the original optimus m scare a lot of people off??

Advertisement

2. alfick3

alfick3 Android Expert
    None

Feb 7, 2011
    Male
    IBM SSR
    DFW, TX

I plan on getting it; just waiting on some funding to come thru. I went to a Metro store the other day and looked at one. Seems like a nice phone to me. I'm certainly looking forward to getting it.

3. Anthony1970

Anthony1970 Member
    None

Dec 8, 2010

I am also. But I am waiting on those written reviews.

4. citric

citric Member
    None

Mar 1, 2012
    I just picked this up today after screwing up my LG Ally that I had flashed to MetroPCS.

So far it's a great little phone, it's really light, 5mp camera, fast and responsive, decent internal storage and a microSD slot. It has a mini sliding door over the USB port which is nice, instead of that little flap cover on most phones that will eventually fall off.

My service seems kind of sluggish but I don't know if the guy activated the 3g for my account and I'm just running on the 1x (it says CDMA EvDo rev. A and supports 1xRTT(0,1,15), 1xEVDO(0,1,15)

Its running Android 2.3.6 with some MetroBloatware that is easily uninstalled.

So far I like it :)

alfick3 likes this.
  5. Fox Mulder

VIP Member

Feb 19, 2012
    NYC
    Interested in seeing your longer-term opinions when you've had it for a while. As a current and still-satisified Optimus-M owner (got one of the first ones back in 11/10) I have some interest in this as a modest upgrade, with a couple of concerns. One is rootability which seems to be taken care of, another is battery life. The specs for talk and standby look to be about half those for the original M, but I know you can't always go by what's in those ratings. It's the real-world results that matter and I'd like to hear yours after you've had the phone long enough to know how well the battery does.

6. alfick3

alfick3 Android Expert
    None

Feb 7, 2011
    Male
    IBM SSR
    DFW, TX
    Agreed. I'm definitely planning on getting it, but would love to hear real world experience about the phone. My wife and I got our OM's in Feb 2011, so have gotten some good use out of it, and have been very satisfied with them.

I like that it is EvDO rev A rather than the rev 0 like the original M. 'Course, with the Metro service, we may or may not see better speeds (the rev A specification introduced faster 3G speeds than the rev 0 had), but still, it's nice to see that. The Dallas area is getting fairly good 3G signal, so that will be nice also. But, we shall see.

I really am looking forward to getting this phone.

7. citric

citric Member
    None

Mar 1, 2012
    I haven't explicitly seen 3G show up as a signal, but I did notice it hit 1x briefly when I drove through a known dead spot, before jumping back up to EV. So i guess that's the 3G.

Still liking it

8. Anthony1970

Anthony1970 Member
    None

Dec 8, 2010

It can take several days to two weeks for the 3g signal to work. When I got my admire metro (gave my optimus m to my girlfriend last year) told me 3g would'nt kick back on for awhile. It took almost two weeks. So you will have 3g eventually. I don't know why it works that way. I suspect when I switch phones again I will be without it for awhile.

alfick3 likes this.
  9. alfick3

alfick3 Android Expert
    None

Feb 7, 2011
    Male
    IBM SSR
    DFW, TX
    Interesting. I wonder why that is? Well, I'll just have to find out when I do get the phones for my wife and I.

10. citric

citric Member
    None

Mar 1, 2012
    So is EV the 3G or is that something between 1x and 3G (2G?)

11. nycnyc

nycnyc Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 20, 2010
    1X is 2G. EV (short for EVDO) is 3G.

12. MyUsernameRox

MyUsernameRox Android Enthusiast

Jan 5, 2012
    Male
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Aesthetics play just as much a part in my decision to buy a phone as specs and performance.

I don't really like the looks of the phone's shape-the rounded covers coming to a point.

What does this phone cost?

13. citric

citric Member
    None

Mar 1, 2012
    Phone is 129.99. Personally i really like the look and feel of the phone, if anything it feels to light in my hands for everything that's packed on here. And its really thin.

It feels like a lot of thought was put into the aesthetics

14. flashmatrix86

flashmatrix86 Lurker
    None

May 5, 2012
    Central FL.
    Bought this a few days ago. My previous phone was an LG Esteem LTE. I can tell you first hand besides the 4g capabilities and some other differences. This phone is as fast as the Esteem. Hopefully I wont get the dreaded headphone problem I had on the Esteem. Overall a very very good phone for the money! The 5g with flash and the flash player are great to have. Im praying someone comes out with a 1 click root for these. The MPCS store I went to sold me the last one out of 20 they received that day! So these may look like theyll get popularity soon. BTW, this is a much better phone than the Admire. Which I also own.

15. citric

citric Member
    None

Mar 1, 2012
    It can be rooted using the spectrum root. I've got SU on my phone.

flashmatrix86 likes this.
  16. flashmatrix86

flashmatrix86 Lurker
    None

May 5, 2012
    Central FL.
    Thanks for the info. :)

Just did the root. What are you using for recovery?

17. citric

citric Member
    None

Mar 1, 2012
    Titanium. Right now ROM Manager doesn't have support for the OM+ yet

18. flashmatrix86

flashmatrix86 Lurker
    None

May 5, 2012
    Central FL.
    Ahh yes. I also did the same.

19. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus
    None

May 13, 2011
    Laborer (all the dirty nasty work nobody else want
    Florida
    Do me a favor, go to settings/about phone and give me all this info:
    Android version
    Baseband version
    Kernel version
    CPU info
    Mod version
    Build ID
    Build number

This will help me find a compatible recovery, or at least one that's close that just needs a little tweaking.

20. alfick3

alfick3 Android Expert
    None

Feb 7, 2011
    Male
    IBM SSR
    DFW, TX

You are using Titanium to back up, not for the custom recovery. Right?

21. citric

citric Member
    None

Mar 1, 2012
    There's no custom recovery yet...

22. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus
    None

May 13, 2011
    Laborer (all the dirty nasty work nobody else want
    Florida
    Right at first if a compatible recovery is found you will have to use linux commands thru a terminal emulator (really not that hard). Something every rooted M plus member should install.
    The recovery's for the M might work, but that would be a huge assumption. Might even be able to use the Flash Image GUI?
    All depends on how close to the M the M plus is. I'm not holding my breath though.

23. nanchyi

nanchyi Lurker
    None

Mar 27, 2011
    It's a VERY decent phone. I have owned it for about four days and have installed about four to five apps and no problems yet. The built in task manager can easily kill applications and it has kept my phone running very smoothly. I do notice that with no apps running my task manager says I only have around 180MB of RAM. As for system memory there is a whole Gigabyte and I only have about 200MB used up so far. The 1x and 3G will back and forth but that is on any MetroPCS handset. There is no way for the phone to only run on the 3G at this point =/ Battery does seem to die out overnight, I thought I had killed all apps before falling asleep but I found my phone lost about 50% or more battery just overnight. That is the one downside. As for the interest in the phone, do not be surprised if you don't notice it is selling a lot. You have to keep in mind that this is a slow quarter for wireless and out of the non-4G handsets, this is the most expensive one. It's $30+ than the Admire and ZTE Score, and some MetroPCS customers will shy away from it based on that. In my opinion this phone is worth the extra money. I have seen a couple of Admires come through our doors because of bugs. Surprisingly I have not seen a ZTE come through yet, but it might still be too soon to tell. I chose to get the Optimus M+ simply because of the processor and the camera. I don't want bother with any Android under 800Mhz processor. I tried with the HTC Wildfire and it was just poop.

Commander Keen likes this.
  24. Commander Keen

None

May 6, 2012
    Male
    Med. Device Engineer :)
    Corona, CA
    Recently took my Admire in the jacuzzi with me the other morning. I'm glad that happened because it forced me to get another phone. Without hesitation, I picked up the LG Optimus M+. 30$ more was well worth it.

Performance-wise, the M+ is a BIG improvment over the Admire. I can play games (Angry Birds, Field Runners, etc). without any stuttering or lag in touch. The phone hasn't locked up on me yet and the GUI is much better than what I had in the Admire. Additionally, the LG Optimus M+ can be rooted using the root tool for the LG Spectrum!

I am very impressed with how the phone behaves given it's price. Fluid motion, hasn't crashed once, no lockups, no stuttering during gameplay, sound quality is great when talking.

I'm very satisfied with this phone. The Samsung Admire has nothing on the LG Optimus M+.

nanchyi likes this.
  25. flashmatrix86

flashmatrix86 Lurker
    None

May 5, 2012
    Central FL.
    Heres what I found..... :thinking:

Model number: LG-MS695
    PRL version: 3028
    ERI version: 1003
    Android version: 2.3.6
    Kernel version: 2.6.38.6-perf