• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"no name site" thread that was locked

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommy_ed

Android Expert
Feb 26, 2010
reallllly mods? why lock the thread?

people need to be educated about how these sites work so they will know NOT to pay them!

to the OP of that thread - those sites are distributing content illegally, and the developers of the apps don't see a PENNY from them. The guys that run them are dirtbag teenagers running a website out of their living room. Those sites are always changing names/URLs because they keep getting shut down. And for good reason.

Don't give them a dime of your money. You're willing to pay 5 bucks for a meal at mcdonalds, why not pay a dollar or two for an app you're going to be able to use for years. You have 24 hours to try an app out and if you don't like it, return it! The developers work hard to make these apps, they deserve what little cash they can get for them! :)

Okay mod, NOW you can lock the thread! ;)

It was locked because it was blatantly discussing WHERE to download illegally obtained apps, which as we are ALL aware, is against forum rules, is illegal and does not help the community.

Please, however, keep in mind that you don't necessarily see all the behind the scenes action in the form of PM's that goes on explaining to users what is/isn't allowed and why such items are not allowed on AF. We don't always post explanations in the thread and take each thread/post on a case by case basis.

Thank you for your concern though and I agree with your points 100%! :)

The ironic thing though is that users STILL asks for links to apps, movie downloads, etc. The points you mentioned do NOT apply to just apps.

Upvote 0
This whole thing could of been settled with a pm to a mod asking why it was locked.

no, because it still would not have educated the OP as to why he shouldn't join the site.
Was it not settled with this post? I asked the mods why it was locked and Kelmar informed me that they were posting direct links. Sounds settled to me, unless I'm missing something :thinking:

Upvote 0
no, because it still would not have educated the OP as to why he shouldn't join the site.
Was it not settled with this post? I asked the mods why it was locked and Kelmar informed me that they were posting direct links. Sounds settled to me, unless I'm missing something :thinking:

That part you are missing is the behind the scenes stuff that explains to users when these threads are created and closed why they are closed and explaining how the system works.

HOWEVER, this thread helps future users or users who weren't aware of the problems with these sites. :)

No harm, no foul :)

Upvote 0
Reread what the mod posted. They did inform the op in a pm. To help you out further its the second paragraph.

So again your question was best to be sent as a pm to the mods.

Upvote 0
your first response explained it well, i was referring to him stating that i shouldn't have made this thread :)

People will always ask for these sites of free downloads. No matter how many times its posted that it violates the rules. People either don't read the rules or chooses to ignore them.

Its the nature of the beast sad to say. Someone always wants something for nothing. I bet as I write this. someone is asking where to get apps for free lol

Upvote 0
Reread what the mod posted. They did inform the op in a pm. To help you out further its the second paragraph.

So again your question was best to be sent as a pm to the mods.

what about all the other people who have read the locked thread? I was referring to them as well. All I'm saying is the mod should have posted something similar to what I did when they locked it! :D

Upvote 0
what about all the other people who have read the locked thread? I was referring to them as well. All I'm saying is the mod should have posted something similar to what I did when they locked it! :D

That would be me and was moderating from the phone at the time. Regardless, it's like beating a dead horse. Say it today, say it tomorrow... say it a month from now. Doesn't change. :p

Reactions: tommy_ed
Upvote 0
On a completely off topic but related note, please support the devs in their work. If they have put a price tag on their apps, then obviously they have put a good amount of their own time and feel its worth atleast that. I don't think anyone would feel too good if someone was stealing their hard work.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones