• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No Netflix for HTC Evo Shift?

maduin

Lurker
May 14, 2011
I don't get why if Shift is supposed to be faster than the standard Evo, and that you can get a rooted workaround to trick it to work, why not just include it in the list of devices that it will work on. I'm no tech head, but when I see that something will work on an HTC Evo, I think that it should work for my Evo Shift as well...

Gets frustrating when you toss down 400 bucks on something that supposed to have all the "bells and whistles" to find out you can only run half the 'shiz other devices do.

But if you have read anything about both the evo and the shift, you should know that while it is rated at "only" 800 mhz, it runs a lot of tasks faster than the evo. It is also capable of being overclocked to 1.6ghz. That is damn fast. Just because Sprint doesn't use it to it's full potential doesn't mean you can't. Root it. Do what you want how you want, as fast or faster than everyone else.;)

Upvote 0
Here's a link to a thread over at xda forums, I installed the new netflix apk but like everyone else could only get sound no video.....Somewhere in the thread a user explains how to rewrite the build to try and get it to work, but I haven't tried it yet. Let me know if anyone does. Also I see users that are running some custom roms that are seeing results, but i'm running CM7, and so far its not working for us.

Net Flix - xda-developers

Upvote 0
But if you have read anything about both the evo and the shift, you should know that while it is rated at "only" 800 mhz, it runs a lot of tasks faster than the evo. It is also capable of being overclocked to 1.6ghz. That is damn fast. Just because Sprint doesn't use it to it's full potential doesn't mean you can't. Root it. Do what you want how you want, as fast or faster than everyone else.;)

Agreed, but the reason its not on the list is because the carriers don't take root into account.

Has anyone gotten it working on root yet? I'm not a Netflix subscriber so can't test, and honestly haven't rooted my Shift yet either since its still under warranty and I do use the NASCAR app.

Upvote 0
Agreed, but the reason its not on the list is because the carriers don't take root into account.

Has anyone gotten it working on root yet? I'm not a Netflix subscriber so can't test, and honestly haven't rooted my Shift yet either since its still under warranty and I do use the NASCAR app.

Some people reported having it working but It seems to vary from ROM to ROM. I have tried it on multiple ROM's and changing the build.prop and farthest I've got is it plays videos fine with audio but no picture.

Upvote 0
Got netflix on my Evo Shift! It's moody but man does it get the job done. Anyway here is what I did...
Download .netflix.mediaclient apk from [DEV][APP] Netflix Updated 03-28-11 - xda-developers
ROM=NFX 2.0 (other sense ROMs reported working)
Kernel=X99percent #8 (x99kernel)

It crashed 100% of the time when I tried to fast forward (don't say I didn't warn ya)
Had trouble with the 'resume' button.
Other than that I've been having a blast! :) :)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones