• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No new version of Sense 3.0 upgrade for the Thunderbolt!

also, for anyone who thinks not getting sense 3.0 is a big deal: can you name two features of sense 3.0 that you'll greatly miss on the TB?

Eye candy... for the most part, that's all Sense is... isn't it? Yes, that's the only reason why I want Sense3.0 for my phone... that's also why I liked Sense over Vanilla Android in the first place and got an Eris rather than a Droid.

Hold your breath on arguing for the actual technical differences between Sense and Vanilla Android... It doesn't matter... the real reason people buy Sense is it looks better.

Upvote 0
^ can't argue with that. HTC does include some nice functionality features in sense like widgets and such in addition to the eye candy. the main reason i asked though is because, to be honest, i haven't looked into sense 3.0 and don't know the differences between 2.0 and 3.0 other than the obvious eye candy. i'll watch a youtube vid on it to see what we might be missing out on...

Upvote 0
Eye candy... for the most part, that's all Sense is... isn't it? Yes, that's the only reason why I want Sense3.0 for my phone... that's also why I liked Sense over Vanilla Android in the first place and got an Eris rather than a Droid.

Eye candy...that's it?? All this hype about sense 3.0 is for more eye candy fluff? I was hoping for better features and functionalities. Seriously, does anybody know the difference between sense 2.0 and 3.0 beside a cool lock screen?

Upvote 0
just watched the sensation launch event on youtube here YouTube - HTC Sensation Launch Event Highlights - London 2011.

i'm not sure i'll benefit from the biggest improvements i noticed in sense 3.0. those mainly being the lockscreen functionality and weather animations. why do you say? because as most android users do, i bypass the lockscreen with the nolock app. the weather animations are very cool indeed but nothing to really write home about.

you guys can look for yourself and see if not getting sense 3.0 is something to really get worked up over. based on what i've seen so far, it's nice but doesn't seem to be that big of a deal. hopefully there's some other stuff in there that would make me upset that we might not get it...

Upvote 0
Eye candy...that's it?? All this hype about sense 3.0 is for more eye candy fluff? I was hoping for better features and functionalities. Seriously, does anybody know the difference between sense 2.0 and 3.0 beside a cool lock screen?

I said hold that breath on technicalities! Sex sells... that's why SenseUI has been doing so well... it's the Eye Candy.

Upvote 0
I said hold that breath on technicalities! Sex sells... that's why SenseUI has been doing so well... it's the Eye Candy.

If that's the case, then not getting 3.0 on the TB is not a big deal to me. Juding by some of the responses, I really thought we'll be missing out on something important in 3.0. Come to find out...it's just more eye candy that I'll be bored of in a week. Eh...pass.

Upvote 0
this might be a little of topic but a response would be appreciated-- (noob)

If you have a rooted phone with modified system apps etc. what steps do you take to be eligible for an OTA upgrade (whether we'll be getting it or not). do you have to revise some of your files with root explorer etc.?

just wondering- pretty new to this.

--Chrizz

Upvote 0
this might be a little of topic but a response would be appreciated-- (noob)

If you have a rooted phone with modified system apps etc. what steps do you take to be eligible for an OTA upgrade (whether we'll be getting it or not). do you have to revise some of your files with root explorer etc.?

just wondering- pretty new to this.

--Chrizz

Honestly it depends on the ROM you are using. If you are using the Stock ROMs (meaning you are just rooted) you should receive the update but your device will be unrooted after the update. Many of the ROMs block updates so you can retain root (which can become harder after official OTA's). You typically can get updates faster from the Dev community than you would from Verizon. If a new HTC Firmware is released or leaked...it will be available from the Devs ASAP.

Does that help?

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
Honestly it depends on the ROM you are using. If you are using the Stock ROMs (meaning you are just rooted) you should receive the update but your device will be unrooted after the update. Many of the ROMs block updates so you can retain root (which can become harder after official OTA's). You typically can get updates faster from the Dev community than you would from Verizon. If a new HTC Firmware is released or leaked...it will be available from the Devs ASAP.

Does that help?

Yes that really does, I appreciate it.

--I think I understand, but as I said I am pretty new to this. I have read some things that say you could restore a previous image (maybe stock image etc) to be eligible for an OTA upgrade. is this true? for example, the thing i was reading said "dont fully delete bloat w/o a copy of it otherwise the OTA system will read your files and see that they are altered" meaning- use root explorer to hide them so you can put them back if need be?

sorry if im rambling- just trying to learn a bit more. one more question, for example on xda forum i saw a release of a b0lt3d ROM i believe it was called. many reviews said it had no bugs and some cool features etc. it seems i could easily flash that to my TB. whats the risk??

-thanks in advance for any response to this-

-chris

Upvote 0
Yes that really does, I appreciate it.

--I think I understand, but as I said I am pretty new to this. I have read some things that say you could restore a previous image (maybe stock image etc) to be eligible for an OTA upgrade. is this true? for example, the thing i was reading said "dont fully delete bloat w/o a copy of it otherwise the OTA system will read your files and see that they are altered" meaning- use root explorer to hide them so you can put them back if need be?

sorry if im rambling- just trying to learn a bit more. one more question, for example on xda forum i saw a release of a b0lt3d ROM i believe it was called. many reviews said it had no bugs and some cool features etc. it seems i could easily flash that to my TB. whats the risk??

-thanks in advance for any response to this-

-chris

Unless something has changed (and I doubt it), Verizon can't detect any software running on your device. Are you running a custom ROM? If not, go check some of them out. The ROMs the Devs put out are not just different...they offer enhancements.

Example: I'm running Das BAMF 1.4 and instead of having recent apps in the pulldown notification bar...there is now a power control widget built in. This makes much more sense as you can always access your recent apps by holding the home key down for a couple of seconds.

You will see Gingerbread first from custom ROMs, you will see sense 3.0 on custom ROMs, etc.

Here's some advice...forget about OTA updates from Verizon. The ONLY reason I would ever revert back to stock would be if I needed to return the phone for warranty replacement (you don't want to send a rooted device back to Verizon cause rooting voids your warranty).

Upvote 0
Unless something has changed (and I doubt it), Verizon can't detect any software running on your device. Are you running a custom ROM? If not, go check some of them out. The ROMs the Devs put out are not just different...they offer enhancements.

Example: I'm running Das BAMF 1.4 and instead of having recent apps in the pulldown notification bar...there is now a power control widget built in. This makes much more sense as you can always access your recent apps by holding the home key down for a couple of seconds.

You will see Gingerbread first from custom ROMs, you will see sense 3.0 on custom ROMs, etc.

Here's some advice...forget about OTA updates from Verizon. The ONLY reason I would ever revert back to stock would be if I needed to return the phone for warranty replacement (you don't want to send a rooted device back to Verizon cause rooting voids your warranty).

Thanks again man its all starting to come together-- why go thru verizon right?? haha

so are you recommending BAMF 1.4? any bugs etc? i have heard boLTEd is good. this is where im getting my info from

--http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1009876

--http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1018628
this second one is the one i was thinking of--

what do u recommend? keep in mind im a noob looking for the smoothest experience possible.

thanks again man for the responses you are helping out a ton--

Upvote 0
Thanks again man its all starting to come together-- why go thru verizon right?? haha

so are you recommending BAMF 1.4? any bugs etc? i have heard boLTEd is good. this is where im getting my info from

--http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1009876

--http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1018628
this second one is the one i was thinking of--

what do u recommend? keep in mind im a noob looking for the smoothest experience possible.

thanks again man for the responses you are helping out a ton--

No prob...we've all been there. I don't mind hijacked threads when it comes to getting someone squared away...but my apologies for doing so.

BAMF is a BAMF! LOL. I also am a fan of Liquid's work (Liquid Thunderbolt is the ROM name). But from what I've seen and heard...there aren't any "bad ROMs" out there. Each one offers different things so its really about finding one that works for you. Check out the ROM discriptions, read what people are saying, and give a few of em a test drive.

MAKE A BACKUP WITH CLOCKWORK RECOVERY before flashing a new ROM or kernel. That way, you can revert back quickly and easily.

Upvote 0
No prob...we've all been there. I don't mind hijacked threads when it comes to getting someone squared away...but my apologies for doing so.

BAMF is a BAMF! LOL. I also am a fan of Liquid's work (Liquid Thunderbolt is the ROM name). But from what I've seen and heard...there aren't any "bad ROMs" out there. Each one offers different things so its really about finding one that works for you. Check out the ROM discriptions, read what people are saying, and give a few of em a test drive.

MAKE A BACKUP WITH CLOCKWORK RECOVERY before flashing a new ROM or kernel. That way, you can revert back quickly and easily.

thanks again man, i might take your advice and try BAMF 1.4 i made multiple backups of it and saved them to differnt locations so i dont do anything stupid. btw, do u think this is a good guide to go by??

[Guide] How to Backup, Restore & Install ROMs on The Thunderbolt - Android Forums

thanks again for your help it makes it a lot easier. ive been googling a lot but its hard to find exactly what i need. cheers!

Upvote 0
That looks like a good guide and I appreciate the creator of that guide showing how to do it "manually" via CWR instead of using ROM manager. Good advice there as ROM manager is not a complete solution...you need to know how to work the recovery manually.

might take your advice on the BAMF because there are not many screenshots for the other boLTEd rom. guess i can always try both if everything goes smoothly--

Upvote 0
So as per Engadget this morning, and coming straight from HTC themselves...Us Thunderbolt owners will not be getting the new version of sense when an update for Gingerbread gets pushed out. Its been said that it can only support its newer devices, like the Sensation, and EVO 3D...
Well doesn't that just stink!

While I am not happy about this, I'm not irate, either. The Sensation looks amazing, but it won't be on Verizon in the US, and although Verizon is on my "list" right now, they are still the best service provider there is, at least on the East Coast.

I don't when other htc phones that are comparable to the TB (huge screen, 4G, etc.) will come out, but I have no doubt they will be here soon.

From the videos that I saw, Sense 3.0 is very nice, but doesn't have anything I can't live without. For now, at least. :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones