• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help No notification of mms

wirespider01

Lurker
Mar 12, 2013
Me and my wife went and got new phones about a week after the Droid Maxx 2 was released. I got the Droid Maxx 2 and she got the GS6. This is my first Motorola cell Phone.

My issue is when i receive a group text or a picture file, which both come as MMS, the phone doesn't automatically open it without me turning data on. My wife's phone and other peoples phone do. So, this must be a Motorola thing. I receive the group text or pic but I only get a download bubble in my text app. I then have to turn on data and then download the text or pic. I can deal with that but I receive no sound notification that i received a message.

I have to constantly unlock my phone to see if their is a number 1 or so beside the messenger app to see if I received a MMS to download. I have this problem with the stock messenger and Verizon message+. Is there any way I can get my phone to alert me that i have a group text or pic waiting in my messaging app to dl? I cant leave data on all the time due to battery drain. I have WiFi on all the time.

Is there a App or even a messenger app that recognizes whats incoming and will turn data on that then will allow the phone to produce a alert? Maybe there's a easier fix for this?

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Doesn't Verizon's Messenger+ app (pre-installed on the phone) allow you to send and receive MMS over WiFi?

How much difference do you notice with data turned off?

You could just turn off data by app and allow it for only the messenger app that you use by default (tedious, but I believe do-able, in the settings app for data usage.)

Upvote 0
Me and my wife went and got new phones about a week after the Droid Maxx 2 was released. I got the Droid Maxx 2 and she got the GS6. This is my first Motorola cell Phone.

My issue is when i receive a group text or a picture file, which both come as MMS, the phone doesn't automatically open it without me turning data on. My wife's phone and other peoples phone do. So, this must be a Motorola thing. I receive the group text or pic but I only get a download bubble in my text app. I then have to turn on data and then download the text or pic. I can deal with that but I receive no sound notification that i received a message.

I have to constantly unlock my phone to see if their is a number 1 or so beside the messenger app to see if I received a MMS to download. I have this problem with the stock messenger and Verizon message+. Is there any way I can get my phone to alert me that i have a group text or pic waiting in my messaging app to dl? I cant leave data on all the time due to battery drain. I have WiFi on all the time.

Is there a App or even a messenger app that recognizes whats incoming and will turn data on that then will allow the phone to produce a alert? Maybe there's a easier fix for this?

Any help would be great.

Thanks.
I just had my wife text me with a picture with data turned off and it worked just fine over WIFI.. I always thought you needed 4G for MMS! Try google hangouts for text messaging and it should work. I believe it may depend on the app you use for text messaging. To be clear she sent it over SMS via a mobile phone number, not the google hangouts portion that you can video call and such. Hope that makes sense!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Doesn't Verizon's Messenger+ app (pre-installed on the phone) allow you to send and receive MMS over WiFi?

How much difference do you notice with data turned off?

You could just turn off data by app and allow it for only the messenger app that you use by default (tedious, but I believe do-able, in the settings app for data usage.)

No, the Verizon messenger+ app cannot on this phone bring in mms over WiFi. It will only bring in a message that has a dl button in it. Problem is, I get no notification of the arriving text with dl in it. If I'm not on data all the time I get no notification of incoming mms.

Also, data usage settings only allows me to turn off all background data. I can't pick and choose which app can run data.

Thanks though.

Upvote 0
I just had my wife text me with a picture with data turned off and it worked just fine over WIFI.. I always thought you needed 4G for MMS! Try google hangouts for text messaging and it should work. I believe it may depend on the app you use for text messaging. To be clear she sent it over SMS via a mobile phone number, not the google hangouts portion that you can video call and such. Hope that makes sense!

I tried using the stock Google messaging app that came with this phone and I don't like the lack of settings. I just tried Hangout messaging and it looks and runs just like it. I don't like any of Google's messaging apps as of now... The stock Google messenger app does fail to notify (audible) of a incoming mms unless data is turned on.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
No, the Verizon messenger+ app cannot on this phone bring in mms over WiFi. It will only bring in a message that has a dl button in it. Problem is, I get no notification of the arriving text with dl in it. If I'm not on data all the time I get no notification of incoming mms.

Also, data usage settings only allows me to turn off all background data. I can't pick and choose which app can run data.

Thanks though.
I don't have Lollipop but on KitKat in settings / data usage it listed all of the apps that used data at the bottom. You can tap the app and scroll down to tap a check box "restrict background data" for each app that you want to restrict. Does Lollipop not have that level of control?

As I said, tedious. Also, with a phone with such a large battery, is it worth the hassle of having data turned off? Can you not get through a day from morning and charge the phone fully overnight?

Upvote 0
Ok, thinking about this, I believe that you will still receive MMS messages over data if you have data turned on and restrict background data for all apps. MMS does use mobile data to deliver the media, but it is unmetered data (it doesn't count against your plan.)

I always thought that Verizon Messages should be able to do this over WiFi because it is supposed to work over WiFi on WiFi-only tablets. I hate the app myself and never use it, so I may be misunderstanding the app. But, looking at the FAQ, Verizon calls this feature "integrated messaging" and it sure seems like it should work over WiFi only. This sounds like it would be the best solution for you. The FAQ is here: http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/verizon-messages-faqs/

Also, when I used Google messages with data turned off (when I was traveling internationally) I recall that I would get notified of a message to download and it did make a sound, and it had a bubble to tap to download. If it was a group message, the bubble would come in as a separate message from the sender, but after downloading the bubble would disappear and then it would notify again and appear in the group message thread. That sounds like a weird issue with whichever messaging app that you are using.

Upvote 0
Ok, thinking about this, I believe that you will still receive MMS messages over data if you have data turned on and restrict background data for all apps. MMS does use mobile data to deliver the media, but it is unmetered data (it doesn't count against your plan.)

I always thought that Verizon Messages should be able to do this over WiFi because it is supposed to work over WiFi on WiFi-only tablets. I hate the app myself and never use it, so I may be misunderstanding the app. But, looking at the FAQ, Verizon calls this feature "integrated messaging" and it sure seems like it should work over WiFi only. This sounds like it would be the best solution for you. The FAQ is here: http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/verizon-messages-faqs/

Also, when I used Google messages with data turned off (when I was traveling internationally) I recall that I would get notified of a message to download and it did make a sound, and it had a bubble to tap to download. If it was a group message, the bubble would come in as a separate message from the sender, but after downloading the bubble would disappear and then it would notify again and appear in the group message thread. That sounds like a weird issue with whichever messaging app that you are using.

The Verizon messaging plus is the app I've been using for messaging. I keep it updated. Neither the Verizon nor the stock Google messenger app notify me that I have a mms message awaiting to be downloaded.

I do see the setting to turn off background data in my apps. If I turn them off, do I need to go back through and turn them on when I switch on data to use when I'm not connected to with fi?

Thanks

Upvote 0
When the apps are in the foreground (ie, you are using them), they will use data even with background data turned off. What it prevents is something like the Facebook app fetching data while you are not using it (ie, when it is in the background) and sending you a notification that someone commented on one of your posts, for example. However, if you open the Facebook app, it will use mobile data, if you are not connected to wifi, to update your Facebook stream, etc.

I'm not sure which messenger apps are on the Maxx 2, but the Google messenger app I am talking about I know is in the play store.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging&hl=en

Does the icon look like that?

As for Verizon Messenger, did you see the FAQ and verify that the app is set up for integrated messaging? It should be by default but it won't hurt to check.

Upvote 0
When the apps are in the foreground (ie, you are using them), they will use data even with background data turned off. What it prevents is something like the Facebook app fetching data while you are not using it (ie, when it is in the background) and sending you a notification that someone commented on one of your posts, for example. However, if you open the Facebook app, it will use mobile data, if you are not connected to wifi, to update your Facebook stream, etc.

I'm not sure which messenger apps are on the Maxx 2, but the Google messenger app I am talking about I know is in the play store.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging&hl=en

Does the icon look like that?

As for Verizon Messenger, did you see the FAQ and verify that the app is set up for integrated messaging? It should be by default but it won't hurt to check.

Yes is the same icon. A few days ago I got it from the play store and it's the same stock messaging app that came with the phone.

I thought integrated messaging was just to sync all your devices using your cell number? I read the page you linked to it's instructions and read the part about integrated and that's pretty much what it said also. Am I not understanding something?

Upvote 0
Integrated messaging says that you can send and receive messages over wifi and with a tablet or from a Web browser with your phone number. It suggests to me that Verizon receives the messages on your behalf on a server and the client - whether it's your phone, a wifi only tablet, or even a personal computer - can send and receive all text messages for the phone number on your account.

So I'm suggesting that using integrated messaging, even though you don't want the multiple device feature, should allow you to send and, more importantly, receive the MMS payload over wifi as of you had mobile data turned on.

By the way, I agree that my experience with Verizon phones in the past has been that they will temporarily turn on mobile data to send and receive MMS and them turn off when the data is complete. It's odd that they've changed that behavior with the Maxx 2.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones