1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General No Notifications on Locked Screen

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Othmane San, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Othmane San

Othmane San Lurker
    None

Apr 29, 2016
    Male
    Hi,
    it's the first time I use an android phone, I've been using iPhone for almost 9 years now, the S7 edge is a great phone I must admit, but it has few very annoying issues, one of them is the notifications, when I receive a notification, there is a sound beep and the LED starts flashing, but i get nothing on the screen, I checked all the settings, with and without always on display, verified all the notification settings, app manager, permissions, everything, it just does not work, did anyone have the same issue??
    please help !!!

Advertisement

2. bIOforger

bIOforger Android Expert
    None

Jun 19, 2014
    Male
    Notifications for which app, all of them? Check all your frequently used app's settings that you would expect notifications from, as well as the phone's settings that you have already checked. No it doesn't happen on mine.

3. Othmane San

Othmane San Lurker
    None

Apr 29, 2016
    Male
    I have set my notifications based on my preferences, for some apps I allowed even priority setting, but I do not receive ANYTHING at all when the screen is locked.

4. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Which apps are you not receiving notifications from? Do they appear on the pull down notification shade? Have you checked that they do not have notifications on lockscreen set to hidden?

5. Othmane San

Othmane San Lurker
    None

Apr 29, 2016
    Male
    the lockscreen notifications are on, i'm allowing content to show on lock screen but I don't receive notifications from ANY app, once I click on the power button I can see all the notifications lined up, but on the lock screen nothing appears.

6. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Wait. Once you click on power button? Are you talking about the always on display? You know, when you leave the phone alone, the screen will turn off except for a clock? If you're talking about that, you're really not going to see any notification there. That's not the lockscreen. It's just a feature Samsung added so you can glance at your phone and tell the time quickly. The lockscreen is the one that shows up when you pick up your phone and press the power button.

7. Othmane San

Othmane San Lurker
    None

Apr 29, 2016
    Male
    Sorry let me be more precise, I guess I didn't explain my issue very well.
    When the screen is off and I receive a notification, the screen doesn't light up, I hear the notification sound only and the LED starts flashing, but nothing appears on the screen, I have to turn on the screen manually (through the power or home button) to see all my notifications.

8. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    That's normal. The screen is off. Of course you wont see a notification. If you have Always On Display active, where you always have a clock on the screen despite having it 'off', be informed that Always On currently only supports very few notifications. AFAIK just the Samsung Email app, Messaging app, and missed calls. So if you use the Gmail app or a different SMS app from the stock, like Textra or Chomp, then Always On Display won't be able to show notifications. You just get the clock. What you're seeing is normal behavior of the phone.

If you want the screen to light up when receiving notifications, you have to specifically set up your notifications per app to make the screen light up when you are notified. That's if the app supports making the screen light up. You could also use an app, Lightflow, to have more control over your notifications. It can even set different colors of LED per app, like blue for Facebook and red for Gmail for example.

Personally I just turn off the always on display and just use the Edge notification feed if I want to check my notifications.

Edit:
    I just realized that you come from an iPhone. Yeah. In iOS, for every notification the screen lights up. That's not the norm for Android. Personally I don't want it that way.

today and TanyaMac like this.
  9. Othmane San

Othmane San Lurker
    None

Apr 29, 2016
    Male
    Thanks for your feedback,
    I had the nexus 6p for sometime before getting the S7 and I could normally get notifications the same way I used to get them on an iPhone, the screen lights up and the notification shows on the lock screen; which is not the case with the S7, I turned off always on display to see if there is a change but unfortunately I still don't receive anything, I even turned off battery saving mode which might affect notifications but with no result; I'll go to the seller today to see if my case is applicable to all devices and if it's really how android works, because as I said that was not the case with the nexus 6p.

10. oleb84

oleb84 Android Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2011
    Male
    London
    I'm not an expert here but it looks like your question has been answered throughout this thread.

I can't imagine a single time I would want a notification to turn my screen on. Surely the vibrate/noise/led light is enough to tell you there's a notification there and you can then choose if you want to read it or not by simply manually waking the phone up?

I had an iPhone 4s for a year and don't remember this being the case, I might be wrong though, it was a long time ago now!

11. Othmane San

Othmane San Lurker
    None

Apr 29, 2016
    Male
    Exactly that was a very long time ago, the point here is not preference, because obviously each user has his own preferences, but I was definitely having this feature on my nexus 6p.

12. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Well, you could look into it. I haven't handled a 6P, but every Android I've encountered does not light up the screen. Although these Androids are mostly Samsungs, Lenovo and Oppo. Note than Samsung does change certain aspects of the OS, causing a change in behavior, and the Nexus uses stock Googlr configuration, which means a difference may be indeed expected.

13. Othmane San

Othmane San Lurker
    None

Apr 29, 2016
    Male
    Thanks for your feedback, it seems that this is a deal breaker for me, sometimes I need to interact with the notification on the spot by dismissing it or responding to it, without having to turn on the screen then take action which on a repetitive daily basis takes time, the S7 is a great phone indeed but I feel that there are few points to be tackled to make it a stunning device.

14. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    On reasearch however, it seems, that the Nexus 6P actually DOES NOT actually light up the screen on notifications. Rather it has an Ambient Display feature, which is basically Always On display but with better notification support. I would point you to look at Motorola, as they have the best iteration of this feature in their Smart Display. Also, the LG G5 supports an Always On Display that can accomodate third party apps.

Samsung Galaxy S7

The Samsung Galaxy S7 was launched in 2016 and was one of two devices in the lineup. The device features a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, 4GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 12MP rear camera.