1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

no OS downloaded

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by navidhtc8, Jun 10, 2017.

1. navidhtc8

navidhtc8 Lurker

Hello.
    I tired to root my phone. my bootloader is unlocked. After rooting my phone went on the bootloop issue.
    I went to bootloader -> Recovery -> Data -> advanced and wiped all data there was on my phone.
    I did not know that the OS systems also would be wiped...
    When i reboot my phone, it says ''no os installed, do you wish to continue?'' and im stuck on the bootloop.
    I can access bootloader and TWRP. But i have no absolute idea how i can fix this issue.
    My computer can recognize my phone by doing abd devices on cmd.

Its a HTC one M8
    please help. i've been searching all night for a fix!...

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. navidhtc8

navidhtc8 Lurker

A bit more easy to understand, but i did these things:

I did these steps:
    1) Unlocked bootloader
    2) Installed SUPERSU version. 2.37 from recovery mode
    3) Phone rooted? but stuck on bootloop after rebooting to system
    4) I went to recovery mode and wiped all data, because i thought it would factory reset my phone(stupid of me...)

And now im here. there is ''no os installed'' on my phone.
    I can detect my phone from my computer with CMD. And i can only have access to bootloader and recovery mode.
    Can anyone help with a fix? ive been up all night to search for a fix, but nothing seems to help...

+ i have no backup from my phone. but i have a stock backup from someone i found on the forums, but i have no idea how to use it.

3. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Sorry, I've not time to do more than type a few words, but your options are either to find a ROM Update Utility that's compatible with your phone model, firmware version and cidnum (region/carrier), which will restore it completely to stock, or find a custom ROM (e.g. from XDA-developers), copy it to sd, and use TWRP to install it. The second will be less work.

When you deleted the content of the system partition you erased the OS. First thing to learn when modding a phone: if you don't know what something does, don't mess with it until you have found out ;)

mikedt likes this.
  4. navidhtc8

navidhtc8 Lurker

THanks for the fast reply! It has helped a lot. Its midnight though..soo i will continue with the ''repair'' process tomorrow morning! :)
    I have been searching a lot actually after a ROM update utility for my phone, but i've been kinda unlucky with the search. My phone model is:
    M8_UL PVT SHIP S-ON
    Thats the information given from bootloader :)
    Could you please make a fast search, where a possible custom ROM or firmware version is on it for download? and mabye a little quick tutorial.
    I have so far learned a lot by the functions in TWRP, but a step-by-step guide is never enough! :D

5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

If your M8 has got TWRP, that means almost certainly it was using a custom ROM before. Did you install TWRP yourself, or did you buy it second-hand like that?

There's various ROMs, tools and instructions here for the M8.
    https://www.needrom.com/category/htc/serial-one/one-m8-serial-one/
    YouTube might be worth searching as well, for user ROM tutorials.

6. navidhtc8

navidhtc8 Lurker

I installed TWRP myself, so i could unlock my bootloader so i could be able to root my phone
    Thanks for the ROM page!
    But could u please write a step-by-step guide for how i do it?

7. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I can't do that. I've never had this phone, and I don't know anyone who does. But there's YouTube videos showing you how to...
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=htc+one+m8+rom
    I can't verify if any are right or not, and maybe best to read the comments, see what they say.

Last time I was using TWRP was on an Oppo Find7, for installing custom ROMs.

8. navidhtc8

navidhtc8 Lurker

I firstly tried to sideload a version 7.1 ROM to my phone. It downloaded it all, but at the last part it said ''Failed'' I didnt factory reset or anything like that. i skipped directly to sideloading again. I thereafter sideloaded open-gapps to my phone. it was successfull. I then rebooted my phone and its on the boot animation of the custom rom Is there a fix for that? and is there something i did wrong in the process?

9. navidhtc8

navidhtc8 Lurker

I managed to flash it wouth - adb push (zip filename) both the rom and gapps
    But my phone keeps getting stuck af the custom rom boot screen...

10. Hadron

VIP Member

Which rom did you use?

For an RUU mi_ul isn't enough information. Was it bought locked to a network or unconnected, if network, which, and also what country.

Or if you put it into fastboot mode and use the command "fastboot getvar all" and tell us what the cidnum is that would be unambiguous. I'm assuming that you know how to use fastboot as you said you installed TWRP, but you also said you wanted TWRP to unlock the bootloader which doesn't make sense (you need to unlock the bootloader in order to install TWRP), so let us know if you aren't sure how to use fastboot.

mikedt likes this.
  11. siva_kumar

siva_kumar Lurker

Need to check multimedia files

12. navidhtc8

navidhtc8 Lurker

@Hadron , @mikedt
    I managed to install a custom rom to my device. the rom was : https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2695706
    My device got fully installed etc. it finally worked again!
    But i found out that apps like snapchat wont start up because they block rooted devices. I later found a solution, where its required to install Magisk to my phone.
    And as far as i know(correct me if im wrong) i have to uninstall supersu in order to install Magisk. This means i have to unroot my device. But every time i press ''unroot'' in SuperSU, it fails, and i have no idea why.
    And when i tried to flash the Magisk.zip file from TWRP, the process failed too.
    Do i have to fully wipe my device to factory settings and then flash magisk, and thereafter root my phone?
    or is there a better way to do this

mikedt likes this.
  13. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I've only read about what Magisk is, but quite frankly any enquiries about it maybe best directed towards XDA. Unless there's any Magisk experts here on AF?

14. Hadron

VIP Member

My guess is that the "unroot" option in SuperSU may not work on a s-on device. Only a guess as mine are always S-Off and I've never used it anyway, but you need S-Off to modify system while running Android so this seems a possibility.

I'm afraid that I've no experience of magisk (even older device, and I don't use any apps that object to root). The easiest would be to find a ROM that uses that from the start, but that's probably another factory reset, and I don't know whether there are such ROMs for the M8 - or at least not ones based on the HTC interface (I can see there are some others). Might be worth checking the thread on ViperOne, as one of developers there was the author of magisk, but the M8 rom is older than that project.

HTC One M8 Forum

The HTC One M8 release date was March 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 4MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 2600mAh battery.

March 2014
Release Date
Reviews