• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help No OS just TWRP

XYZero

Lurker
Jun 1, 2021
hey guys i got twrp v2.7.1.1 on my opo a few years ago, i tried putting a new os just to mess with rooting. i followed an outdated video on it (not sure which video) and didnt think much of it. at the same time i thought it would work just fine and deleted the original os in the progress without backing it up. so question is, can i somehow place the original os or new os in the phone? i would need any and all details to do so as i sinec deleted everything since then, or if anyone could refer to me to a place that could help like a page, discord, anything that'd be cool if nothing can be done no worries ill probably trash it if thats the case. either way thanks for any help in advance!

hey guys i got twrp v2.7.1.1 on my opo a few years ago, i tried putting a new os just to mess with rooting. i followed an outdated video on it (not sure which video) and didnt think much of it. at the same time i thought it would work just fine and deleted the original os in the progress without backing it up. so question is, can i somehow place the original os or new os in the phone? i would need any and all details to do so as i sinec deleted everything since then, or if anyone could refer to me to a place that could help like a page, discord, anything that'd be cool if nothing can be done no worries ill probably trash it if thats the case. either way thanks for any help in advance!
well lesson learned.....always make a nandroid backup before doing anything.

as long as you have twrp you should be able to flash a custom rom.......provided there is one for your phone. do you still have the custom on your sd card?

Upvote 0
well lesson learned.....always make a nandroid backup before doing anything.

as long as you have twrp you should be able to flash a custom rom.......provided there is one for your phone. do you still have the custom on your sd card?
im not sure it does and if it does it failed from last time. so i need to find a compatible rom is what i believe i have to do and if so any link to show me how to get it on the phone and for any programs or tools i need? appreciate it

Upvote 0
You'll be able to find ROMs for the OnePlus One here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/f/one-android-development.3134. There's also an "original android development" forum at https://forum.xda-developers.com/f/one-original-android-development.3135, the difference being that those ROMs should not be based on the OnePlus ROM itself. Unfortunately never having owned a OnePlus I can't advise on how to find stock firmware (the original ROM) - I'd hoped one of those forums would have an obvious link (because it's useful for people in your position), but it wasn't on the front page of either. Perhaps one of their other OnePlus One subforums will have it. There used to be dedicated OnePlus forums as well, but I don't know much about those.

As for how to do it, installing custom ROMs generally comes down to "copy the zip onto the device or SD card, boot into recovery, click install". Usually you have to do a factory reset too before it will work, but it sounds like you may have done that. The ROM threads at XDA usually contain instructions: I would always read to check whether there are any special requirements (e.g. minimum version numbers of TWRP, or any additional steps). You should be able to copy the ROM to the device using ADB when in TWRP: there's a setting to enable USB debugging/ADB in there somewhere (it's been a few years since I used it). Or put the ROM on a USB memory stick and connect via an adapter (OTG adapter, i.e. USB On The Go), then TWRP will be able to read the ROM zip from there (that's how I flashed ROMs on my HTC One, which also lacked a microSD slot).

(I have to admit that video guides to this stuff are one of my pet hates. One reason is that I read far faster than the video maker talks, plus if someone writes stuff down you can follow it exactly or even copy and paste, so I find videos simply inefficient - as well as being a sad sign of declining literacy ;). But the big one is that this stuff can change when phone firmware is updated, and because video guides are so time-consuming to update nobody ever does it. So if you look for video tutorials on this stuff the chances are your search engine will return a list of out-of-date information)

Upvote 0
You'll be able to find ROMs for the OnePlus One here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/f/one-android-development.3134. There's also an "original android development" forum at https://forum.xda-developers.com/f/one-original-android-development.3135, the difference being that those ROMs should not be based on the OnePlus ROM itself. Unfortunately never having owned a OnePlus I can't advise on how to find stock firmware (the original ROM) - I'd hoped one of those forums would have an obvious link (because it's useful for people in your position), but it wasn't on the front page of either. Perhaps one of their other OnePlus One subforums will have it. There used to be dedicated OnePlus forums as well, but I don't know much about those.

As for how to do it, installing custom ROMs generally comes down to "copy the zip onto the device or SD card, boot into recovery, click install". Usually you have to do a factory reset too before it will work, but it sounds like you may have done that. The ROM threads at XDA usually contain instructions: I would always read to check whether there are any special requirements (e.g. minimum version numbers of TWRP, or any additional steps). You should be able to copy the ROM to the device using ADB when in TWRP: there's a setting to enable USB debugging/ADB in there somewhere (it's been a few years since I used it). Or put the ROM on a USB memory stick and connect via an adapter (OTG adapter, i.e. USB On The Go), then TWRP will be able to read the ROM zip from there (that's how I flashed ROMs on my HTC One, which also lacked a microSD slot).

(I have to admit that video guides to this stuff are one of my pet hates. One reason is that I read far faster than the video maker talks, plus if someone writes stuff down you can follow it exactly or even copy and paste, so I find videos simply inefficient - as well as being a sad sign of declining literacy ;). But the big one is that this stuff can change when phone firmware is updated, and because video guides are so time-consuming to update nobody ever does it. So if you look for video tutorials on this stuff the chances are your search engine will return a list of out-of-date information)
thank you so much for all the info it'll really come in handy when i dable with the phone again ill try to update the page just to see if succeeded, either way i appreciate it a lot.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones