• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No paid apps for me (halp? :D)

eZtaR

Feb 17, 2009
I was more than excited when paid apps launched for what i thought was UK G1s the other day, but excitement came to a halt when i realized that i couldn't access said apps, me being in Denmark using an unlocked UK G1.

I suspect that this is due to google seeing that I'm on a Danish IP address, which i'm trying to circumvent in the easiest way possible.. But what is it?

My wireless router doesn't have any option to set up a proxy for all incoming connections (WRT54G running ther latest build of DD-WRT).

I have no idea how i could set up an ad hoc network from my laptop which, connecting via my local internet, connects via a proxy.

TL;DR
I have no idea how to spoof being in the UK, on the Android market.

If you have any ideas/guides you're more than welcome to reply :D
/eZtaR

im not sure because i live in the US, but i have an unlocked G1 and i wasnt getting paid apps until i downloaded the latest firmware. which here is, RC33. Im still not sure if i can get OTA updates because i installed it manually.
I think the problem is that we're using IPs from countries which google hasn't unleashed paid apps for..

Btw i got the OTA update to rc9 on my unlocked phone in Denmark :)

Upvote 0
This might really be way-out-there .... and roaming costs might be Astronomical ...???

Is it possible to use a UK Carrier SIM in roaming mode in Denmark ?

Might be worth a quick test to see if apps then show up ...

I see you are on RC09 build version ?

I'm afraid that'd simply be too much of a hassle, not to mention too pricey :p

But i'm on Jesusfreke's RC9 :) (the latest build according to jf updater)

Upvote 0
I'm afraid that'd simply be too much of a hassle, not to mention too pricey :p

But i'm on Jesusfreke's RC9 :) (the latest build according to jf updater)

:D :rolleyes: well, I thought you said you were desperate !! Sometimes painful measures are required for desperate situations !!

So, I understand that you would not be wanting to incur more expense... I think you might just be out of luck until some point down the road ...

I would not hold my breathe !!

I am not sure about this, but somebody else might comment on the JF RC9, apps and IMs I dont think are not corrected in these rooted versions ???? so this would be a bigger task to maybe jailbreak these ... at some the wizards at xda might be able to attack that issue ... maybe not because the info on a sim can be used to limit or enable how a Service Provider lets data and services flow to that customer...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones