1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support No PIN required after reboot / Almost 100% RAM usage

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by karshna, Jul 24, 2013.

1. karshna

karshna Lurker
    None

Jul 24, 2013
    Sony Xperia miro / ST31i
    Android 4.0.4

I've had two strange things happening during the past 24 hours:

1) My phone froze while I was using an app (Ultimate Stopwatch) then rebooted after a few seconds. After completing the boot process I was not asked for my PIN and could still use the phone as usual. I thought this was very strange from a security point of view because I usually get asked for a PIN (rebooted manually just now and was asked as well). Are there any explanations why this would happen? Can Android/the phone somehow store/cache the PIN or does a freeze cause a different kind of reboot where the PIN is "remembered"?

2) I took a nap this afternoon and when I got up my phone was running very sluggish. Couldn't even open Contacts, most apps I tried to use would close after a few seconds. I checked Running Apps and RAM usage in the Apps menu and free RAM was down to a few MB, at times even KB. Android kept killing all processes, almost all "running processes" had a "Restarting" note next to them and there were no cached processes. What does that mean? Did a manual reboot and it's fine for now but I'm worried.

Any help/explanations appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisement

2. LilBit

LilBit Extreme Android User
    None

Sep 1, 2012
    Female
    U.S.A.
    Hi Karshna, I'm sure you can find help in this forum, check it out. Welcome to Android Forums by the way, and remember, were here to help.

Sony Xperia Miro - Android Forums

funkylogik likes this.
  3. Sam-SonyXperia

Sam-SonyXperia Android Expert
    None

Jun 14, 2011
    Hi karshna, the first problem could have been caused by the app in question freezing as the phone will have rebooted not powered completely off/on (there is a difference much when you perform these functions on a PC).

Regarding the second issue this could have also been due to a rouge app though is you have any task killers or battery saving apps I would be looking at uninstalling these first. If all else fails then please try an update/repair:

To repair the phone software
    1. Install PC Companion on a Windows PC from Support at Download for PC - Sony Smartphones (Global UK English)
    2. In PC Companion, under Support Zone and click Start.
    3. Under Phone Software Update, click Start.
    4. Click repair phone.
    5. Follow the on-screen instructions.