• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No possible way to clear default launcher?!

M

MacDue

I have a new android phone. I really want to get rid of the horrible stock launcher however I cannot. In application management when I find this piece of shite launcher the clear defaults is grayed out (I am 100% sure this is the launcher). Default management apps show this launcher as the default but again 'clear default' is grayed out. Opening Nova launcher and going into the nova settings and clicking 'set as default launcher' sends me back to shite launcher and has not set the default launcher. At this point I am getting more interested in whether my phone blends or not.

If you'd said what phone, launcher and what OS version (though it sounds like a recent one) it might have helped us suggest solutions. Clearly this is the wrong behaviour, as you know. Indeed installing Nova and pressing "home" should by itself bring up the "which launcher do you want to use" dialogue (since you've installed a new app capable of handling that intent).

So I don't have a single definite solution. Do the default manager apps show anything other than this launcher and nova as candidates for handling the "home" button (in case something else might be interfering in some way)? You might try uninstalling/reinstalling nova, or indeed just installing another launcher, to see whether that does bring up the app selection dialogue. The one thing that I'm sure would work would be rooting the phone, which would allow you to convert Nova to a system app and disable the stock launcher, but I understand that not everyone is comfortable with that sort of thing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones