1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support No privacy option in settings & can't download apps

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by chocolatedrop, Jan 15, 2012.

1. chocolatedrop

chocolatedrop Lurker
    None

Aug 17, 2011
    Help please! I want to back up my phone before sending it for a screen replacement (working fine) but am going round in circles. I've backed up contacts, photos, music fine but can't backup messages. The user guide says I should have an option for Privacy in Settings, which will lead me to a Back Up My Data option but I have no Privacy option. I've tried searching for it but nothing. I've tried downloading SMS back up apps but my Android Market icon has disappeared & cannot be found anywhere in the phone & so although my Android account suggests the apps have been installed they are not being downloaded to my phone. I have seen one message suggesting that my phone is not linked to the android account but the other (few) apps I've downloaded are showing there. I'm guessing that the Android Market may come back if I do a factory reset but I'd like to back up my messages first. Does anyone have any solutions? Had the same problem please?

I'm using 2.2 on my Desire, network 3 (who haven't been able to help).
    Thank you

Advertisement

2. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    There is no provacy option in 2.2. Well not strictly true, you can use the search button and it finds it but its USELESS anyway.

You really do need to be able to download an app such as smsbackup +

So you can go through the install on the market website but it never downloads? You have no Market in the app drawer. What about in manage applications? does it show there?

chocolatedrop likes this.
  3. chocolatedrop

chocolatedrop Lurker
    None

Aug 17, 2011
    Thanks for your reply SUroot. So the User Guide for 2.2 is dud then. No, the privacy option doesn't appear in search results and no, I have no market anywhere. I've tried every folder in manage apps, tried downloading from web via phone, from web on pc, same apps download fine on hubby's identical phone.

4. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    Honestly don't know how the market could disappear on an unrooted device... that shouldn't be possible.

What you could do is get astro file manager installed on your hubbys phone and take a backup of smsbackup on his phone (which backs up the application .apk file to his sd) then put the apk on your sd and install it using whatever file manager you have... hopefully you have one....

5. chocolatedrop

chocolatedrop Lurker
    None

Aug 17, 2011
    I like your suggestion, but sadly, I don't have a file manager installed so it looks like I'll just have to resort to factory reset. At least that will reinstate my market app. And there's worse things that can happen than losing my texts. But thank you for your help - just hope the reset goes smoothly - doesn't bode well when the HTC instructions don't match the structure of my phone. Many thanks.

6. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    It was there in 2.1 which the desire was released with. Now you have to use the search function from within the settings menu to find it. It's definitely there but the backup probably won't work anyways.

You could email the apk to your gmail. When you open it as an attachment, it should open with "package installer"

7. chocolatedrop

chocolatedrop Lurker
    None

Aug 17, 2011
    Sorry, slow reply, spoke to HTC today who suggested copying the backup app from hubby's Desire onto SD card then putting card into my Desire and installing onto phone from there. Tried this but apps didn't show on card so I've just given in and done a factory reset. First thing to do now is to download a backup app! Thanks for your help - hopefully my phone (when it's back with shiny new screen) will no longer have it's knickers in a twist. Cheers.

Tags: