• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No Quad For 5 US Carriers

Good luck getting a radio if you're with ATT. ATT had Samsung remove the radio on prior models.

I think he means the LTE radio, perhaps even combined with the cell phone radio, and not a FM radio. The LTE radio being integrated into the SoC is the primary reason most have cited that the North American carriers are getting a Dual-Core Krait instead of the Quad-Core Exynos. Samsung couldn't develop a good chip with LTE in time for the S3, so they went with the S4 Krait, instead, to keep the North American release as close to the International release.

I've read somewhere that there will be some S4 Krait versions in Europe, too, for the LTE markets over there.

Upvote 0
Speaking of radios, I think people may be assuming the NA version of the S3 has a 28nm radio, but does a 28nm LTE radio actually exist for LTE for NA networks?

Seems we might get the S4, but with the same battery sucking LTE chips already out. Especially VZW, based on the gosh awful, hot running battery sucking messes we have now. I usually leave 4g off since not worth the battery drain.

Upvote 0
Speaking of radios, I think people may be assuming the NA version of the S3 has a 28nm radio, but does a 28nm LTE radio actually exist for LTE for NA networks?

Seems we might get the S4, but with the same battery sucking LTE chips already out. Especially VZW, based on the gosh awful, hot running battery sucking messes we have now. I usually leave 4g off since not worth the battery drain.

The LTE radio is integrated into the S4 SoC (i.e. CPU), so its likely the same 28nm process as the rest of the SoC.

That is probably the reason they went with the S4 instead of the Exynos quad core which doesn't have an integrated LTE radio which means they have to use a separate LTE chip which will consume more power.

Upvote 0
I'm not concerned, the Epic Touch was so outstanding in terms of solid performance, I'm sure the S3 will keep that trend. I still can't get my Epic Touch to lag at doing anything.

That being said, I kind of liked having Sprint with a slightly modified version of the phone, I don't like having the exact same phone as the masses. But I digress on this one because I WILL have an S3 in my pocket.

And thanks to team Nocturnal, I will know my way around the new Touchwiz ICS like it's nothing via practicing with it on my Epic Touch.

Upvote 0
jinwons... I believe I did in my original post "...25% faster than its predecessor".

Even though Anandtech states that "more likely to benefit from 2 faster cores than 4 slower". However, they also say that there are "advantages to more than two cores". It was also stated that its not easy coming up with current apps that scale well to four ARM cores, but that doesn't mean its not impossible and therefore could be taken advantage of. So with them saying what they are, I would still vote on 4 cores.

Good luck getting a radio if you're with ATT. ATT had Samsung remove the radio on prior models.

I know you said predecessor. But I'm not sure what you are referring to with that word. S3 snapdragon or GS2 phone? Either way, saying US version of GS3 is only 25% faster than its predecessor is way understatement.

I'm not on ATT, but not sure what you mean by ATT had samsung remove radio on prior model. Are you talking about FM radio? I was talking about cell and data radio all integrated into S4 SoC including LTE. S4 MSM8960 is truly one chip solution for all (processor, GSM, CDMA, LTE).

Samsung is going with S4 because they couldn't develop their own LTE radio for Exynos in time for US release of GS3. Maybe that will happen next year.

Upvote 0
The LTE radio is integrated into the S4 SoC (i.e. CPU), so its likely the same 28nm process as the rest of the SoC.

That is probably the reason they went with the S4 instead of the Exynos quad core which doesn't have an integrated LTE radio which means they have to use a separate LTE chip which will consume more power.

I will ride with your answer for now ;):)

Seems too easy though.... Since when has VZW not released a device without a glaring catch to it? :thinking:

Upvote 0
Why are so many people so hell bent on quadcore? It just seems like those who are obsessed with it dont really know much about computer parts.

You dont need quadcore in a phone. Not yet and not for awhile. Normal phone useage you'll never really notice a difference. Extracting files yeah you probably will...multitasking on a phone really has no point right now. We dont really multitask anyhow.

It's almost like the megapixels argument. If not exactly the same thing.

Upvote 0
I'm not concerned, the Epic Touch was so outstanding in terms of solid performance, I'm sure the S3 will keep that trend. I still can't get my Epic Touch to lag at doing anything.

That being said, I kind of liked having Sprint with a slightly modified version of the phone, I don't like having the exact same phone as the masses. But I digress on this one because I WILL have an S3 in my pocket.

And thanks to team Nocturnal, I will know my way around the new Touchwiz ICS like it's nothing via practicing with it on my Epic Touch.

I'm of the opposing mindset. I am happy that it won't be different from the masses. Why? Accessories. I suspect we'll see a lot more accessories now that the form factor (outside of Korea) is known. Especially with the S3 being able to stream media through USB. I hope this means some media docks are in the near future :)

Reactions: rushmore
Upvote 0
Power efficiency of processor part will be similar between two. Quad Exynos has some advanced architecture for efficient processing. But S4 will have edge for efficiency with radios as it's all integrated as SoC in one chip.

Interestingly Sammy developed their own LTE chip for GS3 with new Exynos for their home market. But it runs on GSM/HSPA+ network with different LTE frequency. I think it's good move for them to go with proven qualcomm S4 radio for GS3 on CDMA/LTE carriers in US.

Where did you find the info about the korean s3 having the exynos cpu. Because as far as allthe websites are saying, its going to be a snapdragon processor due to LTE.

Which pisses me off because the Note released here in korea also had the snapdragon processor due to LTE. Because exynos is not compatible with LTE.

Upvote 0
Why are so many people so hell bent on quadcore? It just seems like those who are obsessed with it dont really know much about computer parts.

You dont need quadcore in a phone. Not yet and not for awhile. Normal phone useage you'll never really notice a difference. Extracting files yeah you probably will...multitasking on a phone really has no point right now. We dont really multitask anyhow.

It's almost like the megapixels argument. If not exactly the same thing.

Agreed. Apps are just now starting to leverage dual cores, so the sweet spot for phones is a fast dual core SoC. Next year around this time the landscape for apps should be better in regards to four core leverage.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones