• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No ring or alert sounds

Exleyg

Lurker
Jul 23, 2010
Hi, my wife has an Orange branded HTC Desire and intermittently the phone stops making a noise when someone calls or an email/text arrives. It operates as if its in silent mode even though all volumes are on full. The only way I've found to get it working again is to re-boot the phone, this solves the problem for a few hours but eventually it reverts back to silent. I've trawled the forums and unusually can't find anyone else with the same issue and I wondered if anyone could help.

Forgot to say when it's not working correctly I've tried adjusting the volumes but that doesn't work but also if I try and adjust the ring tone the phone doesn't play a sample as it should. This also goes for the alert tone, it's completely silent.

Any help would be appreciated.

I downloaded Sound Manager which although a good app didn't solve the problem and yes in my case all volumes were on full and I was only using the standard ring tones and alert tones i.e. nothing from the SD card. Orange ultimately swapped the phone but the problem transferred to the new phone so it must be either SD card or SIM card related as these were retained from the original phone. They've recently asked me to use the phone without the SD card which I did but it made no difference and they're now in the process of sending me a new sim card so I'll let you know how that goes.

Upvote 0
I have something similar with my alarm sounds. It has happened twice now that i've been woken by a phone that is only vibrating. I checked the alarm sound option to find that there was nothing in the list, none of the standard sounds or the ones I have on my SD card. A reboot sorted the problem.

I have an unbranded, unrooted Desire, running the standard OTA 2.2 update. I am using ringtones and notifications stored on my SD card, which is not the original, but a 16gb class 6 card. I have suspect that it might be SD card related, but I'm not sure and continuing to investigate.

Upvote 0
I have had this occasionally when I have received a call and the phone has only vibrated. I have all my volume settings locked using Smart Volume so it can't be that.

I also suspect that it is caused by the phone dismounting the sd card for some reason. A reboot normally sorts it, but it is annoying.

My email and twitter sound notifications continue as normal when this happens. I think that's because I am using the built in HTC tones for those rather than my own MP3s from the sd card.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones