1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

No root in CM7?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by 9to5cynic, May 21, 2011.

1. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert

Okay, so I flashed CM7 (7.0.3.1) last night, and this morning I went use adblock, and it failed. Last night wireless tether (app) failed. All due to no root. I try term emulator, and SU failes. Don't have permissions.

So, thinking my phone lost root I flashed back to Myn's. I have root there. Everything was working. Wiped and re-flashed CM. Still no root.

I just did a md5sum on the file and it matches, so it's not a problem with that. Any ideas? It's weird being rooted, flashing roms and then the rom says you're not rooted.

So, if anyone has any ideas or knows of this... any help is appreciated.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

What about s-off? That is weird.

3. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert

I haven't check s-off, I'm sure it is, because I can use all my root programs from myn's... Hmm.. I'll take a look though...

4. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert

Yeah s-off.

Maybe I'll download the 7.0.2.1 version (or whatever it is) to see if that one works. I am really digging CM7 too. :\

5. ocnbrze

Ok will then all is good. Maybe superuser had those as denied as far as permissions.

6. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert

Is it a busy box issue? Tried problems in titanium and then busy box?

7. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert

I tried installing the latest busybox (via market) and it can't install due to root permissions. Busybox was my first thought, but ... hmm. I guess I really don't need root permissions for my day to day activity (though I would like it, maybe the latest version is out soon, or I could try a nightly build)

8. ocnbrze

have you checked the superuser app and see which apps have permission and which ones do not?

9. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert

Nah click problems in titanium and install from there

10. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert

Okay, I'll get titanium and try from there.

Edit:

Alright, so I installed Titanium, and it starts with an error message "I cannot acquire root permissions.. etc." I'll ignore the error and try busybox anyways....

Downloading busybox and su update from titanium to see if that'll work...
    busybox failed. Root access : FAILED. Downloading the update for SU from marketplace now.

11. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert

Well, cannot install busybox through TiB. Everything seems to be saying that my phone is not rooted (except bootloader and previous backups).

12. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert

That is very weird...

Run z4 it will root your Rom...?

13. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert

Is z4 an app or a flashable file or.. something else entirely. Never needed to know it in the past. What a strange thing, cm7 has forsaken me.

14. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert

Its an app you install and run

15. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert

Alright, I'll look for it and see how that goes.

(Will that impact any of my previous backups? or anything like that?)

16. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert

Okay, hopefully 1.3.0 is the version to use, that's the only one I can find. Seems that it is no longer on the market.

I'm guessing because it's temp root, it will not mess anything up? Hopefully. Hm..

If it works, should I try to update busybox and SU again? That's what I'm thinking.

Taking a while, and I was reading on the XDA thread that it was for froyo? Would it not work in GB? However, that thread is quite old, so it could have been before GB.

17. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert

I'm not sure on the froyo gb thing. It won't affect anything but rooting your rom. It's temp root but it will stick cuz you have s off

18. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert

Just use unrevoked forever to turn S-off again, and to root. Then re-try the ROM.

I'm running CM7 after using unrevoked forever (last November) and no problems at all.

19. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert

Well, I already have S-off. But z4root doesn't seem to be doing anything. It just sits there, I waited about 40 minutes earlier today. I guess I'll go back to another rom until the next version comes out.

Oh well.

20. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert

wow thats trippy 9-5 I have no explanation for this, CM7 is rooted, WEIRD

21. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert

Hey, does anyone know if re-running unrevoked has any added risks? I've been really digging CM7 (even without root) and I just can't seem to enjoy any of my backups right now. Damn AOSP kick I have, even MIUI isn't holding up to my standards right now.

So, I have s-off if anyone is wondering. Still no root though, just like above. Term Emu. su = permission denied. SU app, nothing ever happens. Other roms are working fine.

HBOOT version is 2.10.0001
    Also, does anyone know what that date in the bootloader menu corresponds to? Mine is sometime in October.

22. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert

Just flashed the latest nightly from CM (I think it was 87) and have root back. Just in case anyone comes across this problem.

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews