• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No Screen Protector

imronburgundy

Android Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2010
Does anyone without a screen protector have any problems with incidental scratching in the pocket such as keys and things like that? I did have the Steinheil crystal clear protector on, but it just got too scratched up, so took it off. I have a replacement, but it's kind of nice without it.

I've had no issues with my phone being in the same pocket as some change but I've never had my phone in the same pocket as my keys. I have shown people the strength of the glass by attempting to scratch it with keys but that was with medium pressure for demonstrative purposes only.

Gorilla Glass is strong stuff but the important thing to remember is that it is scratch resistant and not scratch proof.

Upvote 0
Does anyone without a screen protector have any problems with incidental scratching in the pocket such as keys and things like that? I did have the Steinheil crystal clear protector on, but it just got too scratched up, so took it off. I have a replacement, but it's kind of nice without it.

I went the same route as you. I started almost immediately with a Steinheil Ultra Crystal screen protector. Once it was ready to be replaced, I took the old one off and never put the 2nd one on. I've been without a screen protector now for probably 4 or 5 months and the screen still looks good as new. When I pocket mine though, I make sure I don't have anything else in that same pocket.

Upvote 0
Going on two years without protection after seeing that video of the kid jack hammering his screen with keys. one bit of bad news. I did get a scratch from something, don't know what. about half an inch at the very bottom. it shows up very fine line of iridescence. I'm going to see if I can get it replaced with a refurb (I need to have a perfect phone to sell on ebay when the RAZR/Nexus comes out. lol)

Upvote 0
The only reason I use a screen protector on my X is because of fingerprints. The bare naked screen shows fingerprints much more prominently than when I have a screen protector on. It also cuts down on glare.

At one point I was running my DX totally naked... no case and no screen protector... and I dropped my phone on the sidewalk and it SKID across the concrete FACE DOWN. When I picked up the phone... not a scratch! That gorilla glass is great stuff.

Upvote 0
Going on two years without protection after seeing that video of the kid jack hammering his screen with keys. one bit of bad news. I did get a scratch from something, don't know what. about half an inch at the very bottom. it shows up very fine line of iridescence. I'm going to see if I can get it replaced with a refurb (I need to have a perfect phone to sell on ebay when the RAZR/Nexus comes out. lol)

I'm in the same boat. Went almost a full year with not a single scratch and it slid across the floor of my car a few Weeks ago. A piece if sand put a long scratch right across the screen. I only see it if held in bright sunlight but I still have to disclose that my screen is scratched. Cover it! At least if you ever plan to sell yours.

Upvote 0
Just ripped off my Zagg that has been on it since day 1 and DAYUM!!! What a difference. It was SOOOO dirty and brown...I didn't know that my screen made white colors. Hahahaha.

My finger moves so effortlessly, it is beautiful (it does has the bright spot in the lower portion though). I won't be going zagg again though...I want crystal clear.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones