1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

No SD card = No "Safe to unplug device" notice?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by OcalaFlGuy, Dec 29, 2012.

1. OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy Android Expert

I haven't seen this before and it gave me the heebie jeebies. :afraid:

I USBd my new Motion to the pooder to load the drivers and make Media/Ringtones/Notifications folders to drop some of my tones into.

I am Only on Wifi until tomorrow and have no SD card installed.

When I finished, I went to try to bring up the "okie dokie to unplug" dealie on the pooder and it wasn't there. I remembered reading here just the other day that you CAN corrupt files you are playing with on a SD card if you Don't clear it to disconnect. I went into the pooders icon/notification area and it said the "okie dokie to remove" function wasn't active at this time. (No SD card is why?)

Without that option, I went ahead and unplugged the phone. Sure enough, when I went to open the browser, even though I showed connected to Wifi with a good signal, I couldn't get on. YIKES! So I turned the Wifi off and on again and I was ok.

1-Is it normal NOT to see the "safe to remove" notice without a SD card installed?

2-SD card. I have a 16G in a old Droid X with a chipped screen. What do I need to do to that SD card to use it in my Motion? (Format, wipe?)

Much thanks in advance for any help,

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. If it's not mounted as external storage and you don't see an option to eject or safely remove, then it's ok to just unplug it.
    What happened with your browser was likely just coincidence and not because you unplugged the phone from your PC unsafely. Those things happen sometimes with wifi, perhaps it just needed to renew the IP address.
    Your old SD card should just work without having to do anything special, but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to reformat it first just to be sure there aren't any files on it that could cause trouble.

OcalaFlGuy likes this.
  3. OcalaFlGuy

Thank You! (Love your nick, big X Files fan here)

Should I reformat the SD in the DX or wait til it's in the Motion?

Bruce in Ocala, FL

4. It probably doesn't matter but I'd reformat it either in a PC or in the Motion.

OcalaFlGuy likes this.
  5. ninjasinabag

ninjasinabag Android Enthusiast

Never, ever....ever remove before ejecting. Just because you dont have a memory card in doesnt mean you wont fry the internal memory.

6. Agreed, as long as there is an eject option. In some modes there isn't and it's ok to just unplug since the phone's internal storage isn't being accessed.

7. OcalaFlGuy

Actually Fox, I had the phone set up USB wise to take in new ringtone files. So I Was in the storage.

Still, I don't see how I could eject when there's no eject icon in the notification tray.

The weirdest thing too with this Motion. On the OTHER Motion I had yesterday, it would let me copy my ringtone files right into the Media>Ringtones>Notification folders I made in the phone storage area. This Motion would NOT let me copy them. :thinking: I rebooted the pooder And the phone and it still wouldn't. Finally I figure out it WOULD let me drag and drop the files into the correct Folders on the phone. That sure sounds weird to me too. (But I checked the ringtone files I moved to the phone and they are all were I dragged them too and do work.)

Bruce in Ocala, FL

LG Motion 4G Forum

The LG Motion 4G release date was August 2012. Features and Specs include a 3.5" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Plus processor, and 1700mAh battery.

August 2012
Release Date
Reviews