• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root No SD?? Wtf?!

bcrichster

ROMinator
Recognized Developer
Jan 23, 2013
Florida
My phone mysteriously rebooted when I plugged in the charger and I was checking wireless tether for root users (just shut off tether Cuz it was working fine when I plugged the phone in). When it rebooted, it said the SD card was safe to remove and acted like it didn't exist! :eek: 0 files (it's a 32Gb sandisk ultra with 12Gb left) I went to CWM and all my folders and zips showed up... Wiped caches/rebooted - no change. Won't even let me take pics as internal memory doesn't seem to exist either (no "camera" photos or screenshots appeared). I have NO idea what to do... I thought about wiping data & caches to do a full restore but I'm scared crazy as I'm afraid that after I wipe it, my SD won't do the restore. ANY POSSIBLE HELP IS APPRECIATED! Thanks in advance for any assistance

OK, I just remembered something... I was messing around in UI folders earlier (camera clicks/shutter) and was wondering if maybe I messed up the system?? Cuz I was also putting inverted apps in place of stock... And I just installed a zip in cwm no problems... Would a complete wipe/restore (God help me:eek: ) maybe fix the problem?

Upvote 0
im gonna guess that you either A broke something in system or B the more likely explaination, it was accessing the sd card when your phone restarted, ever so slightly corrupting the file system, making android itself able to recognize there is a problem because its much more picky than cwm. that is why there is an unmount feature for sd cards, they are easily corruptible if you dont eject them properly and wait till they are "safe to remove"

Reactions: bcrichster
Upvote 0
If cwm reads your card then its good, I never got Linux to mount my sdcard as I didn't set it up to mount mtp devices yet so the only way to mount in Linux was to reboot cwm and mount USB storage, but that's for me idk might be the same for you. Anyway I've ran into my fair shares of sdcards problem from 2.3 GB to 4.1 JB. What fixed it? Simply manually removing the sdcard from the phone and put it back in. Kept doing that until it finally mounted it lol takes about 3 or 4 times to get it. Have you tried mounting in windows? Like junkie said cwm isn't too picky when it comes to mounting the sdcard but try mounting it in a different operating system other than Linux. If it mounts anywhere else its still good. Other android devices will work too. If you have an old one sitting around try to see if it will mount the card, Good luck.

Upvote 0
well, cwm being able to access it doesnt mean that it doesnt have a problem, it merely means that it doesnt have a big enough problem to cause complete failure. youll notice when android boots up or when you insert a card it checks it for errors, cwm doesnt do that sort of thing

basically, android is very picky about reading sd cards, cwm is more like your average simple device, if it can manage to access it it will even if all it end up showing you is 32gb of corrupt data

Upvote 0
well, ive seen a few that windows refused to read, but could be accessed fine in simpler devices. the more advanced the device the more it tends to complain about file system errors, and id say a computer is top of the food chain. you pop it in a cheap no name brand mp3 player i bet you itll work just fine kuz that isnt going to check the file system its just gonna try to read it the best it can

Upvote 0
OK... It's looking like it's "B" as a full wipe/restore didn't fix the problem. Restore went flawless, but still no SD read. :thumbdown: My internal storage is non existent as well. Can't take pics or screenshots, but CAN download apps from market. Tried the manual removal/insert of card quite a few times with no success. Is there a way to uncorrupt an SD? And if I manage to SD/PC mount via cwm, will all the files I download be corrupt and cause similar problems on a new SD as well?:thinking:

Upvote 0
its unlikely that ALL of the data on the card will be corrupt, though some of it might. it may even be the rom is messed up so you might wanna try reinstalling a fresh copy of a rom just to be sure, other than that the only thing i can suggest is reformatting the card like i said before. if you can get your hands on another sd, maybe some 2gb that came in an old phone or something, that would tell you whether its the card or the device that is the problem. even borrowing one from someone elses phone momentarily would be helpful

Upvote 0
Thank you SOOOO MUCH Junkie, Chevanlol and SuperR! U guys saved my SD & F-n Rock!! :beer::D I did the mount USB command in CWM and copied the SD card to PC, 20Gb in 15 min @ 14+ Mbs! Wow! :p Then I formatted the card 2x's in CWM, copied necessary files Back to SD (pick & chose like: images, music, clockwork mod, ect.. - NOT Android file, not Lost.dir, made phone generate it's own files on boot) and BAM! All there!
I really appreciate the help. Even if my card screws up again, I still have everything backed up on PC now. Thanks again! :beer::D:beer::D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones