1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

No Seamless Updates for S21 series

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ironass, Jan 26, 2021.

1. ironass

ironass Extreme Android User

Despite Google mandating that all phones launched on Android 11 must support the A/B partition for Seamless Updating, the Galaxy S21 series of devices will not be featuring this, IMHO, useful feature. See...

https://9to5google.com/2021/01/24/s...till-lacks-androids-seamless-updates-feature/

In a nutshell, Seamless Updates allowed the latest firmware update to be downloaded in a separate partition whilst the user carried on until the phone was ready to update by rebooting using the new firmware's partition instead of the previous partition. It makes updating very clean, simple and easy. OnePlus for instance, have been using it for a number of years.

Google threatened last year that new Android 11 phones, onwards, that did not support A/B partitioning could not be updated in future.

However, Google has back pedalled on this demand and the Galaxy S21 series of phones will continue to feature the usual system update.

For more information on Seamless Updates, Project Treble and A/B partitions, see the explanation from xda developers...

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-virtual-ab-seamless-updates-android-11/

Also, a simplified explanation from Computerworld...

https://www.computerworld.com/artic...t's no wonder: Project,can update the OS code

olbriar likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

It tells you something about the power of Samsung in the Android world that they can just say "no, we're not doing that" and Google back down.

That said, why don't Samsung do it? I mean I know their ROMs are huge, but it's not as if their flagships lack storage or as if they've been shy about allocating space to the system (I don't know whether they are more sensible now, but I remember days when higher capacity models had larger system partitions even though the ROM/firmware do not scale with storage at all). Why are they so set against adopting the A/B partition scheme?

olbriar and ironass like this.
  3. ironass

ironass Extreme Android User

Exactly Hadron! :D

4. sullencab

sullencab Member

Why can't they adjust if it's warranted for functionality? Or is there an edge if they are unique amongst competitors?

5. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Unique in not offering a feature that makes updates more painless but has no effect on functionality otherwise isn't exactly a competitive edge, so I think we can dismiss that motivation.

As for why they can't deviate, well clearly (because of their market power) they can. If you are asking why Google mandated it, there are an awful lot of things that Google mandate and that manufacturers have to do, and a number of those can fairly be classified as anti-competitive but manufacturers go along with them (and many, including Samsung, have never publicly voiced any qualm). This one simplifies updates and doesn't stop manufacturers doing anything else, so has no downside to the user and no obvious one to the manufacturer. So the question of why Samsung choice this hill to fight on remains valid: is this just some massive corporate "we can't be bothered", or is there something peculiar about Samsung's workflow that this conflicts with?

ironass likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S21+ 5G Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S21+ 5G release date was 29 January. Features and Specs include a 6.7" inch screen, 64MP camera, 8GB RAM, Snapdragon 888 or Exynos 2100 processor, and 4800mAh battery.

29 January
Release Date
Reviews