• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help No search function in email?

RM22

Dec 20, 2011
So neither my corporate email, nor comcast email, has the search icon (little magnifying glass) at the bottom between the email icon and folder icon, but my gmail acct does have it.

My wife just got GN phone and hers does have the search icon on her corporate email.

Any ideas? Called verizon and they couldnt figure out.

I have having this same issue with my Galaxy Nexus LTE using the stock email app with Exchange 2003. It seems the phone should be able to search at least the contents of the mail displayed in the folders on the phone. One idea would be to add Mail to the Searchable Items under the settings of the Google search bar. My old Blackberry had a central search function like that and it would find mail in all folders, based on the search criteria. Will someone from Google please investigate and comment on this?

Upvote 0
I have having this same issue with my Galaxy Nexus LTE using the stock email app with Exchange 2003. It seems the phone should be able to search at least the contents of the mail displayed in the folders on the phone.

I have a LTE GN using the stock email app and Exchange 2007 and I have a search button at the bottom of my screen. The buttons starting from left to right are Compose, Search, Show all folders, Refresh & Menu. Note that I'm only using one email address with the app (no combined inbox).

Upvote 0
It turns out that you will NOT get a search button with Exchange (it actually runs as IMAP/WebDAV) but you will get a search button if your server also offers ActiveSync.

I had this issue and I was shocked to see that there was no search button with Hotmail, knowing that it does offer Exchange functionality.. I figured I won't be able to search my work e-mail too (when I set it up), anyway, finally I got my work e-mail activated and the little magnifying glass appeared. Now I can search. But the stock e-mail app is so weak and missing features, I immediately installed touchdown and started using it. It is not as fast as native e-mail app, but it has all the features you would need.

I suggest trying 3rd Party e-mail apps.
Not being able to search combined e-mail box is another huge problem. Coming from BB where you can literally do anything you want with any number of boxes, makes Android look very outdated and lacking. But you can get around it with some extra expense and a bit of hassle (running add'l app, battery and storage issues, etc..) otherwise it is OK. (I think google wants everyone to use gmail, hence there are far more options with gmail compared to native client)...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones