1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

No security patch updates

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by LennyB42, Jul 28, 2017.

1. LennyB42

LennyB42 Lurker

My S5 has no security patch later than 1 April 2017. Why? I have Android 6.0.1 on the UK Three network. Three say security updates are Samsung's responsibilty. Samsung say it's Three's responsibility. Somebody dig me out of this please.

salman khan bethra likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. dynomot

dynomot Android Expert

If your S5 has network (carrier) branded firmware (a '3' splash screen on boot up, 3 apps preinstalled, maybe some things disabled like Wi-fi calling) then it's 3's responsibility to release it's branded firmware into the cloud for your phone to latch onto and get an update (all Samsung servers, but 3 have to 'tinker' with the unbranded one and hand it back to samsung). If it is "unbranded" with no network apps etc. (To find out for sure you need your CSC code dial *#1234# into the dialler and Google the CSC code, any of the top five Google results will tell you) it is Samsungs.

My guess is that the S5 is no longer supported by either 3 or Samsung, and possibly both.

3. LennyB42

LennyB42 Lurker

I don't have branded firmware.
    When I used #1234# I got the message 'Connection problem or invalid MMI code'' although there was no connection problem. The Samsung Phone Info app tells me I have the latest firmware and the CSC is BTU which is UK/Ireland - I am in UK.SO two questions:

1. Where do the OTA updates come from if both 3 and Samsung say it's not their responsibility?
    2. I hear that I won't get Android updated for the S5. But given what I 've told you do think I'm now stuck with no future security patches?

4. philayl

philayl Android Expert

Hi, the BTU designation means it is UK unbranded, so any patches will come from Samsung, are you using Samsungs SmartSwitch, this is keeping my old Note 4 up to date. Also this site will tell you the latest firmware update. Phil
    https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/

mydian likes this.
  5. mydian

mydian Android Expert

My S5 which is on Boost Mobile also is on the April Security patch. Looking at Sammobile it appears Samsung stopped releasing security patches for the S5 and April is the last one.

6. DefMan

DefMan Lurker

Yep, S5 no longer supported. Pretty sure it's stopping at 6.0.1 They'll release patches if needed such as security exploits. Samsung's way of saying "buy our newer devices".

mydian likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S5 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S5 release date was April 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.1" inch screen, 16MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 2800mAh battery.

April 2014
Release Date
Reviews