• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help No setting for disabling mobile internet?

Jason71

Aug 5, 2009
Shropshire UK
A friend of mine was sold an sgs by o2 this week without a data plan. This was at her request because she is not that tech savvy and did not appreciate how integral to android data is. l pointed out that unless she got a data plan she needed to turn off mobile internet to avoid getting stung but when I tried there did not appear to be any way to do it.the options that I have in the settings and power button menu on my desire were missing. I thought these settings were stock android. Am I wrong? Or have samsung or o2 removed these settings?

What's the bloody point of having a smartphone without data? Come on.. (Edit: well, I guess you could use wifi :p)

I get the need to disable it entirely sometimes though, and like previously mentioned APNDroid does the quick and dirty job of invalidating the APN (thus disabling data) very effectively, with a nice icon on the home page, or in the app.

With Froyo, android 2.2, should come an actual "disable all data" setting, so I'm led to believe. And that should be upon us in the next month or two if samsung pull the finger out.

Upvote 0
What's the bloody point of having a smartphone without data? Come on.. (Edit: well, I guess you could use wifi :p)

I get the need to disable it entirely sometimes though, and like previously mentioned APNDroid does the quick and dirty job of invalidating the APN (thus disabling data) very effectively, with a nice icon on the home page, or in the app.

With Froyo, android 2.2, should come an actual "disable all data" setting, so I'm led to believe. And that should be upon us in the next month or two if samsung pull the finger out.

Invlaidate the APN? How does it do this?

Upvote 0
It just appends the word "apndroid" to the end of the path :p haha. Pretty sure that's all it does.

For example "wap.vodaphone.co.uk" would be "wap.vodaphone.co.ukapndroid", making the APN invalid.

It's easily rectified manually if you accidentally uninstall apndroid before re-enableing data.

(edit: i just took a look, it also changes APN type from "internet + mms" to "*apndroid")

Invlaidate the APN? How does it do this?

Upvote 0
The following message is from Samsung Support might resolve your issues

On the Android phone, press on HOME > MENU button and then tap Settings.
Tap on Wireless & networks or Wireless controls.
Tap on Mobile networks or Mobile network settings.
Tap on Access Point Names.
On the APNs screen, press MENU button and then tap New APN.
In the Edit access point screen, enter the APN settings by tapping on the APN setting item to edit it.
Set the Name to a random fake name, such as Off.
Set the APN to a random fake value, such as blank.
Other items can be left blank.

Press MENU button and thentap Save to save the settings to phone.
A new APN will be shown. Press the circle to the right of the new APN to select it as the active APN.

Upvote 0
i also have a galaxy s, just download the widget switch pro, you can change the settings there

SwitchPro Widget for Android will allow you to put a bunch of Switch/toggle widget on your Android Mobile Phones Homescreen. At has a great list of Application widgets such as:
Wi-Fi
Data Connection
Blue tooth
Brightness
GPS
Auto-sync
Auto-Rotate
Screen Always On
Airplane Mode
Reload SD Card
Vibration/Silent Mode
3G-2G (shortcut)
Battery Indicator
Flashlight
Unlock Pattern
Reboot(rooted)
Speaker Mode
Auto-Screen Lock
4G Toggle

Upvote 0
The following message is from Samsung Support might resolve your issues

On the Android phone, press on HOME > MENU button and then tap Settings.
Tap on Wireless & networks or Wireless controls.
Tap on Mobile networks or Mobile network settings.
Tap on Access Point Names.
On the APNs screen, press MENU button and then tap New APN.
In the Edit access point screen, enter the APN settings by tapping on the APN setting item to edit it.
Set the Name to a random fake name, such as Off.
Set the APN to a random fake value, such as blank.
Other items can be left blank.

Press MENU button and thentap Save to save the settings to phone.
A new APN will be shown. Press the circle to the right of the new APN to select it as the active APN.

Doing this I will get 2 APNs settings. The problem is I cant turn off the old APN and cant turn on the new APN. Did I miss something?

Upvote 0
Oh people!
Long press the Power Button, and it will show you that you can disable it (In Froyo, of course).

Yes, doing that I can deactivate Data Network but I wont be able to receive or send MMS.

I am looking for a solution to not connecting to the internet but be able to sent and receive MMS. In my android I9100 there are 3 options for APN type settings.

1. Internet + MMS
2. Internet
3. MMS

When I set it to MMS, it doesnt work, it seems I am unable to send or receive mms. Only when I set to Internet + MMS then I am able to use mms but the device is connected to the internet so it might incur additional charges on my subscribed line.

Upvote 0
Hello, everybody!
I registered only because of this subject. I've been having the same problem not being able to permanently turn off internet packet data on my galaxy s plus.
I solved my issue doing the same that Billy Lester did. You just need to go to:
Settings>Wireless and network>Mobile networks>Access Point Names>(choose your access point to enter it's settings)>APN type. Then you'll see three options 'Internet + MMS', 'Internet' and 'MMS'. You need to choose 'MMS'!
I am also able to send and recieve MMS.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones