• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help No SIGNAL STUCK IN EMERGENCY MODE

lilrich1789

Jan 29, 2014
can anyone help me? my pops has a nexus 5 with t mobile, it is unrooted and no modifications has been made. the other day his signal went away and was stuck in emergency mode. i tried airplane mode trning off the data and radio and still nothing. so i finally factory reset and now it cant activate cause of no data. any help would be greatly appreciated. i do have some knowledge when it comes to phones i have multiple devices that are rooted with custom recoveries etc... just have no knowledge to this particular device. is this a common issue and is there any solution to this problem??

what i mean is there is no phone data. i can connect to wifi, i did to add gmail account. but as for the phone it wont connect to the phones data to start the initial activation. also date and time is way off plus in about phone it shows a bunch of random numbers as phones number. this all started when he went to the next town over for work. from what i read at xda numerous of ppl have had this issue on different carriers.

Upvote 0
what i mean is there is no phone data. i can connect to wifi, i did to add gmail account. but as for the phone it wont connect to the phones data to start the initial activation. also date and time is way off plus in about phone it shows a bunch of random numbers as phones number. this all started when he went to the next town over for work. from what i read at xda numerous of ppl have had this issue on different carriers.

Sorry, I have never heard of this problem, but the first place I would go is to his carrier.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Upvote 0
When he goes to settings>about phone>status:

Is the IMEI number all zeros or cleared out? Please do not post the number, just confirm that it is something other than all zeros.

Some other basic troubleshooting just to make sure it isnt something simple, try taking the SIM out, putting it back in, and rebooting.

I agree with Rexpert. Like he said double check your IMEI number to make sure that it is correct and not zeroed out, just to mame sure that your EFS partition isn't the issue (Hopefully not the case)

Just a suggestion... But this worked for me.
I recently went and got a new SIM card from my carrier, powered off the device and inserted the new SIM into the SIM card tray and it wasn't immediately detected, no service or Data.
I ended up having to remove the SIM card from the decice and then while the phone was powered on I reinstalled the SIM card in the device, then once it was inserted and seated in the tray, I rebooted the device and it then finally recognized the new SIM card and haven't has any issues since.

Hopefully that helps and will do the trick... Goof luck!

Reactions: lilrich1789
Upvote 0
When he goes to settings>about phone>status:

Is the IMEI number all zeros or cleared out? Please do not post the number, just confirm that it is something other than all zeros.

Some other basic troubleshooting just to make sure it isnt something simple, try taking the SIM out, putting it back in, and rebooting.

Update... So the data randomly came back and I was able to start the activation. Everything was good for a while then as he left the house it went back into emergency mode. I can confirm the IMEI is fine, and it shows his number but the network says unknown and service state says out of service. I guess I'll get a new sim and see if that helps the situation. Thank you for your response and suggestion

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones