1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

no signal

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Guidas, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Guidas

Guidas Lurker

hey guys, new to the forums.

so i just got my incredible s about a week ago and since day 1 i get a no service probably once a day.
    to get rid of the probem i just either switch off my phone and on again or as a faster way i turn on airplane mode and switch it off again.

it's really annoying as i know i have missed calls because of this problem.

help please?
    should i exchange it?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. AntMcl

AntMcl Newbie

Go to your phone's dialer, and type in *#*#4636#*#*. Under 'phone information' or 'phone options', scroll down to 'preferred network type', and change it from WCDMA preferred (I assume that's your current setting) to GSM Auto (PRL). You'll still be able to use both 2 and 3G, but in my experience I've found that the phone has fewer signal dropouts, and can re-gain signal much quicker.

Try it out and let us know what happens :)

canadiac likes this.
  3. james515

james515 Well-Known Member

it could be the phone, but it could also be where you keep your phone when it loses signal.

James

4. Guidas

Guidas Lurker

i never had any signal problems with any other phone. it's just this one. the phone will say no service and there will be an x where the signal bars are.

it must be the phone

5. Guidas

Guidas Lurker

are there any problems with using GSM?

6. UKseagull

UKseagull Android Enthusiast

I have a similar issue with my new phone, although it appears to be better than it was after downloading the 30mb OTA update. I also have my phone set to GSM which has helped, I can sometimes get the faster WCDMA signal but it's never been a very good signal where I live.

Has anyone tried the 'Foil' fix? :)

FIX HTC INCREDIBLE S RECEPTION ANTENNA ISSUES - YouTube

7. AntMcl

AntMcl Newbie

GSM Auto PRL will use both GSM and WCDMA (ie both 2G and 3G); your phone will use both network types, not just GSM.

8. canadiac

canadiac Lurker

I'm having signal issues too. Switching to GSM Auto (PRL) seems to have improved things slightly, so many thanks for the ti.

As for the foil fix, I tried it and it didn't work. I lost my signal completely and was careful to follow instructions properly.

9. Guidas

Guidas Lurker

my brother has the same phone and never gets this problem. it's really annoying

10. AntMcl

AntMcl Newbie

It's not just this phone, a lot of other HTC devices have the same issue (my old Legend and Hero had it). In other words, it's most likely an Android thing.

11. Guidas

Guidas Lurker

looks like changing it to GSM auto have made it worse. i get the problem around 4x a day now when before it was only once a day

12. fridaycider

fridaycider Lurker

I have had this problem where my incredible s has no service and have to switch airplane mode on and off or re-boot to get signal back..
    i have since found an app that does this automatically called signal reset, it's not a propper fix by any means but i've had no problems since installing it.

HTC Incredible S Forum

The HTC Incredible S release date was February 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1450mAh battery.

February 2011
Release Date
Reviews