• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

no skype in the market

because unfortunately there isn't one :(
used to have a lil piece of crap called skype lite, which was a piece of crap.

This "lite" used your actual phone minutes to make or receive any skype call... pretty dull!!
There are a few generic messengers app on the market that connects to the skype, a simple google on it u can find.

Upvote 0
The reason you can't find Skype in the Market is that you aren't on Verizon. That's right - Verizon somehow convinced Skype to sign a deal with the devil - and so Skype apparently is only available to Verizon Android phones. And to make things worse, Skype ONLY functions over 3G - not Wi-fi.

As you can tell, I'm a little ticked off that the Skype chose to go this route, and I'm even on Verizon. Last time I traveled to Europe, I took my Verizon WinMo phone, Samsung i730 and used it to call the U.S. using Skype via wifi. Guess that won't work now.

The only good part of the Verizon/Skype product, is that you can call internationally now using Skype and it is on the 3g network, which can be a good thing - it is just a pity you can't choose to use it on wi-fi instead.

Upvote 0
Fring is an app that supports quite a few IM standards, including Skype VOIP. You have to create a fring account, but once you have done so you can log into your Skype account and merrily talk to your contacts there. It uses WiFi or 3G. I use it quite regularly and does the trick well. Search on the market to find it.

Reactions: mdsj
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones