• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No SMS Notification Sound?

I'm pretty sure my Hero used to give me a beep when I got a new SMS, but it stopped at some point (a couple of weeks ago) and I haven't heard one since. I've tried re-setting the notification sound but it doesn't help.

I'm getting other alerts (new mail, etc.) it's just SMS that doesn't play a sound. I've checked the volume level and it's set to the same as the phone ring level, which is fine.

Any suggestions? I'm wondering if I installed an app that killed it...

I don't have your phone, but the quickest/easiest universal solution is likely freebie Missed Call (by Anno). Add SMS as a "service" thru the config screen. Nice bonus: you can set it so you'll be notified in the status bar--- which includes the full body of the SMS when you pull down the status bar. I'm using it with SMS PopUp (only Google Voice-aware SMS popup app-- see the homesite for details). SMS Popup and native messenger are both set to no sound. Missed Call handles the sounds.

Desktop description with screenies:
Missed Call for Android - AndroidZoom.com

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure my Hero used to give me a beep when I got a new SMS, but it stopped at some point (a couple of weeks ago) and I haven't heard one since. I've tried re-setting the notification sound but it doesn't help.

go into messages icon then press menu settings scroll down to notification settings and press on select sound then pick form the list.

Upvote 0
go into messages icon then press menu settings scroll down to notification settings and press on select sound then pick form the list.

OK, there was already a sound selected, but I followed your steps anyway and it fixed it. Strange!

Now can anyone tell me how to stop it making notification noises every time it finds a data connection? It's causing me to have tourettic outbursts in public.

Upvote 0

I'm getting other alerts (new mail, etc.) it's just SMS that doesn't play a sound. I've checked the volume level and it's set to the same as the phone ring level, which is fine.

Odd - I'm sure the same thing happened to me at work today. I got a text message which was marked as delivered several minutes eariler, but I didn't know I'd received it until I actually looked at the phone display. There was no notification sound played and I haven't installed any apps recently.

Upvote 0
Odd - I'm sure the same thing happened to me at work today. I got a text message which was marked as delivered several minutes eariler, but I didn't know I'd received it until I actually looked at the phone display. There was no notification sound played and I haven't installed any apps recently.

FWIW during my phone's "quiet period" it still vibrated when I got an SMS, and the trackball still flashed. That's how I knew the sodding thing wasn't bleeping at me.

At first I thought I was just missing the bleep, or it was a one-off, but nah it had just stopped doing it. Strange stuff.

Upvote 0
I have Droid and it quit making sms notification sound about a week ago. I've been using Handcent for months with no problems. I went into menu and set the tone i wanted. It will not play sound when doing a test notification. vibrate still works. sounds still play if i go into music program and play the clips. I've reinstalled Handcent and tried using default messaging program. It absolutely will not work. Tried all the typical things such as reboot and removal of battery, etc. Please help. Anyone else had this problem that they've been able to solve.

Upvote 0
I installed this weekend android 2.3.7 on my samsung galaxy GT I 5500. Everything is working, I have only one problem: when I'm receiving a text message my phone doesn't light up, so I can only see it when I enable my phone. Therefore with android 2.2 it was possible, then I saw a text message notification in the notificiation bar, and my phone led up, so I was aware of it.
How can I fix this?
Can someone help me with this!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones