• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help No space after removing apps

So my Android has 8 GB with about half that taken already by system. I have less than a 500mb left. I have barely any downloaded apps, but I have no space. I deleted half of the apps I use kinda regularly, like my favorite games. And have no space still. I have a system update that can't install because I have no room. Any ideas? Do I have to reset my phone, because I HATE DOING THAT!

So the ZTE Overture 2 does allow you to add a microSD card, so you've got at least some ability to add extra storage memory. Photos, videos, and music files take up a lot of space so if you can move whatever you can to your microSD card that might help. Carrier installed apps generally cannot be moved but apps you've added can often have the bulk of their installation moved from your phone's storage to the card.
But with only 8 GB you're always going to hobbled a bit so keep your expectations on what you can do within reason of this limitation. If you expect more you'll just get frustrated about all the neat things your Overture can do.
http://www.devicespecifications.com/en/model/e7f73451

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, just like every other operating system, Android has this little problem that when you install an application, a certain amount of its data becomes recorded to the system registry.
Even after you " Uninstall " that app, those files remain in part inside the system. Throughout the life of an Android phone every time you install and uninstall apps, those files will build up in memory and what you are experiencing will happen.

The only way to permanently delete those files is to factory reset.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, just like every other operating system, Android has this little problem that when you install an application, a certain amount of its data becomes recorded to the system registry.
Even after you " Uninstall " that app, those files remain in part inside the system. Throughout the life of an Android phone every time you install and uninstall apps, those files will build up in memory and what you are experiencing will happen.

The only way to permanently delete those files is to factory reset.

There is no 'system registry' in Android, that's a Microsoft Windows thing. Android is based on a Linux kernel and there is NO Unix based system that implements any kind of central Registry. When you uninstall an app at most there might be random cache or app data files but resorting to a Factory Reset to clean those up is overkill -- simply tap the 'Clear Data' before hitting the 'Uninstall' button and that will clear most cache and data files. Occasionally you'll run into an app that wasn't properly coded to clean up after itself and you'll have to manually delete its folder using whichever file manager app comes with your phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones