1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root No Unique Notification Sounds

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by NickAVV, Feb 17, 2011.

1. NickAVV

NickAVV Newbie
    None

Dec 5, 2010
    IT Intern
    Massachusetts
    Hi, I know I've brought this up before, but the only given solutions were to use notification tones that were built in (which doesn't work) or to use Rings Extended (which also doesn't work). Basically the problem is, the systemwide "Notification Sound" in the Settings plays instead of the unique sounds chosen in each app. I like to have a different sound for SMS, Email, and everything else; so this is pretty inconvenient. It has been broken since Froyo, and Velocity didn't fix it like I hoped it might.

Advertisement

2. spottedcatfish

None

Aug 8, 2010
    I'm having the same issue. I figured it was something to do with Velocity, so that's interesting that you had it with stock Froyo.

With Velocity, my Ally is recognizing and correctly playing a unique Notification in the stock messaging app. Calendar will only play the system-wide default though. My default Gmail app isn't wanting to play any notification sound at the moment apparently.

I've tried just swapping around the settings to see if something would shake out. What have you tried? I've resisted doing a re-flash to see if it helps since I usually only customize my SMS notify and I managed to get that to work.

3. kpedx

kpedx Newbie
    None

Nov 22, 2010
    To change the gmail app notification sound open gmail -> menu -> more -> settings. Go to the bottom and you can change the notification tone

4. x-amp

x-amp Member
    None

Jul 14, 2010
    Most people have already stated that if you use the preloaded notification sound already on the phone, all other notifications set in other apps work fine. My work around this was to load my custom sound in the phones notification folder thus solving the problem of not have unique notification sounds

5. NickAVV

NickAVV Newbie
    None

Dec 5, 2010
    IT Intern
    Massachusetts
    I mentioned in the first post that using the preloaded sound was not working for me. The tone set in the system settings overrides anything I choose.

6. jmar

jmar Nexican
    None

Sep 27, 2010
    Male
    Sales
    San Jose, CA
    ^+1 on post 4.

BTDUBS...I love Velocity v1.0...Think iPhone rock then you don't know...just how deep my Android go...open source intelligence is how I roll...

Yooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

7. spottedcatfish

None

Aug 8, 2010
    Ok, maybe the issue wasn't clearly explained. I'm not having a problem with any particular notification sound not playing, be it system included or user added.

The issue is as follows:
    In the System Settings, I have chosen Notification Sound A (it can be either a system default or a user-added, done this both ways). When I do this, all my apps correctly play this sound by default when a text or e-mail comes in, calendar event pops up, etc.

BUT, I don't want that sound to play for everything, so I go into the specific app (say the stock Calendar app) and choose Notification Sound B. In spite of changing the setting in the app, it still plays the system-wide default (Sound A) when an event alert happens.

Honestly, its a really minor annoyance, and I figured it was a small issue with Velocity, but the OP had the same problem with stock Froyo as well, and it would be cool to fix this if I can. Anyone have any other thoughts on why the system-wide default notification sound would be overriding selections made in specific stock apps (like Gmail, Messing and Calendar)?

NickAVV likes this.
  8. ludeawakening

ludeawakening Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 22, 2010
    Pepsi IT support
    Gadsden, Al
    Hmmm it's strange that it won't work with the notifications that are chosen. I use Ringdroid to make my tones and save them as notifications. They all work perfect with apps, sms, and whatnot.

9. PowerBomb

PowerBomb Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 7, 2010
    Chicago
    I think I've noticed the same issue since upgrading to Froyo but I leave my phone on silent so often that I can't say for sure if it's been happening. But I remember changing my text alert to something else and I was still getting the "DroOoID" default tone.

10. NickAVV

NickAVV Newbie
    None

Dec 5, 2010
    IT Intern
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, spottedcatfish and I are in the same boat. Hopefully his explanation works better than mine has been, haha. It really isn't a big deal, but it was nice to know, without looking, whether or not it was a text, email, or IM when I heard a noise.

11. havaloc

havaloc Lurker
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    I have the same issue. It works properly if you don't load ANY custom notifications on the SD Card. The moment you do though, it only plays the default notification sound no matter what.

12. spottedcatfish

None

Aug 8, 2010
    Ah, now that may be something havaloc. I DO still have custom notifications sitting on my SD card, even though I thought I was removing them from the equation by testing with just the default tones.

x-amp or someone else, can you explain how you load notification tones directly into the phone's system directory rather than having them saved on the SD card?

13. havaloc

havaloc Lurker
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Does the same thing with Velocity 1.0 (which I highly recommend, it's amazingly fast). I haven't tried removing the custom sounds from the folders yet.

14. x-amp

x-amp Member
    None

Jul 14, 2010
    This is what I did.
    1. have root explorer and root.
    2. Have custom tone you want.
    in root explorer, your going to navigate to the custom sound you want and copy it. then your goig to navigate to the "system" folder.
    From there your going to the "media" then "audio" and then the "notifications" folder. Before pasting, make sure the folder is mounted r/w or you wont have permissions. Paste then set as notification in the main settings. That is all.

15. azuma73

azuma73 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 19, 2010
    Forklift Operator, Chef
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I've tried this and a bunch of other ways to get separate sounds for different notifications. No such luck for me, thanks anyhoo!!! If anyone can figure it out let me know, PM me or whatever!:cool:

16. bnitty

bnitty Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    Wichita/Lawrence, Kansas
    I so get what you're saying it's not just a velocity thing bkuz I have the same issue with Frunisher. regardless what notification sound I select for a certain person when I receive a text it plays the system notification not the notification sound I have set in handcent or an individuals customized sound. it just started recently bkuz when I first upgraded to 2.2 it was fine.

17. azuma73

None

Dec 19, 2010
    Forklift Operator, Chef
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Works okay for contact ringtones, but not specific (SMS, email, facebook, etc.) notifications for me?

18. krisdezzy

krisdezzy Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 30, 2010
    Instead of using default notifications, download a short clip of a sound, for example the mario coin atleast a 2 second clip. I converted to a .ogg file and put it in the root explorer. Currently I am using metal gear solid notification, also for the lockscreen sounds :]

19. Dave Rapp

Dave Rapp Lurker
    None

Apologies if I'm a bit late to the conversation. I had this problem since getting Froyo (already forget when that even was, ha.) and accidentally fixed it like a week ago.

So I had some custom-made notification sounds that we'll call notification A, B, C, and D. I had set notification A to be my default notification in settings > sound settings > notification ringtone; notification B to be for new sms; notification C to be for new email; and notification D for an IM app. Yet no matter what type of notification was supposed to be played, everything played notification A instead of the notification I had specified for each specific app. Pretty annoying.

(The only solutions I could find online were dozens of people suggesting a master reset, because apparently I'm an idiot and don't know how to find things on google. :thinking:)

Anyway I eventually found that if I changed the default notification to any of the phone's preinstalled tones, the correct user-specified tone is now playing in each app. But for some reason, if any user-created tone is set to be the default, the phone will play the default tone for ANY notification.

20. azuma73

None

Dec 19, 2010
    Forklift Operator, Chef
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Man, I've been tryin' so many different ways to assign different sounds for different notifications for awhile to no avail. The above post works, Thanks man, thanks a lot!!:cool:

21. dlb

dlb Lurker
    None

May 12, 2011
    Financial Systems Analyst / /Software Engineer
    Rochester, NY
    Azuma, I agree. It seems to work if you set the default notification to silent in Settings>Sound>Notification Ringtone as well! Thanks to Dave for "accidentally" fixing this!

azuma73 likes this.
  22. lkennedy1020

lkennedy1020 Lurker
    None

Oct 19, 2011
    I have been playing with this Alley ever since I had to do a factory reset to try and get this to work. But, I'm only using the stock notifications sounds and nothing I've tried will allow my apps to override my system setting. Silent at the system level didn't work either, just made all app notifications silent. If anyone has any other suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. Mainly just want a sound for my text notifications and either silent or something very quiet like facebook pop for e-mail.

23. da1toenvy

da1toenvy Lurker
    None

Oct 31, 2011
    Thank you sooooo much Dave.. you are the bomb diggity!

Tags: