1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support No upgrade from 2.1.1

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by SpaceBison, Aug 13, 2011.

1. SpaceBison

SpaceBison Lurker
    None

Aug 13, 2011
    I have today downloaded the newest version of Kies and connected my Galaxy S I9000 - I have never been able to do this before, it never worked on various versions of the Kies software - either got failed driver installs or Kies just sat on "Connecting...."

So today I did a factory reset and tried the latest version and it all connects up. Brilliant!

However - it won't give me an option to upgrade the firmware? :thinking:

Most software will give you a button that says "Check for updates", seems to be the most intuitive way of upgrading things :p - however, all I get is the basic information tab with the following information displayed

PDA:JG3 / PHONE:JF1 / CSC:JG1 (TMU)

... and nothing else. No upgrade button, nothing. I checked the firmware auto-upgrade option and the option IS ticked, however in the list below where it says "Auto download for..." - there is nothing in the list to select, so I don't know if that is correct or not.

So, erm, what am I supposed to do? Does it do it when IT feels like it? I have a crap old version (2.1-Update1/Eclair.bojg3?) and am locked (I think) to T-Mobile, does that matter? Surely it should offer up Froyo at the very least?

I'm quite confused as to what I'm supposed to do to make Kies find me some new firmware. Any help greatly appreciated, I've been sick of using 2.1.1 for this long but because I'm locked to T-Mobile and on a contract with them I don't really want to try anything other than the "correct" approach to firmware upgrades.

Thanks

Advertisement

2. rayhipkiss

rayhipkiss Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 20, 2011
    Male
    UK
    You're not the only one to be having trouble upgrading the firmware via Kies, but there is a better method and really quite simple to do. Goto the following web site for a step by step guide to get your phone running on the latest 2.3.4 Gingerbread. There is also another guide on rootingthe phone after, which is even easier and is highly recommended.

XXJVR - Download and Install Guide for Latest Galaxy S i9000 Firmware. | The Android Soul

Best of luck

Ray

SpaceBison likes this.
  3. SpaceBison

SpaceBison Lurker
    None

Aug 13, 2011
    Thanks,

A few questions;

1 - my phone/sim is probably locked to t-mobile, does that matter?

2 - Will I lose any settings, such as AP (internet) settings for tmobile? I think you can enter your number and have them sent to you if you lose them, so this "may" not be an issue.

3 - Anything else I should know about that is going to "not work" afterwards, providing all goes well

Thanks! :D

4. rayhipkiss

None

Apr 20, 2011
    Male
    UK
    It doesn't matter that your phone is locked to T-Mobile, the process will still work. In fact, this process debrands the phone so future updates via Kies will be available to you before operator branded ones. You will lose everything that is on your phone though so make sure you backup your important stuff first such as pictures, videos, music etc. You will need to re-download any apps you have. Once your done and you've rooted there will be a new app on your phone called CWM. With that you can make a full backup of your phone including settings and apps, so if you need to wipe the phone or flash another Firmware in the future you can restore everything back again.

All the best.

Ray.

5. SpaceBison

SpaceBison Lurker
    None

Aug 13, 2011
    Thanks for your help but my phone doesn't go into download mode unfortunately. Tried it many times, it doesn't do it. Must be disabled :(

I guess I am forever stuck with version 2.1 - think I'll pay a little more per month and have an iPhone next time, this thing is such a pain to work with.

6. rayhipkiss

None

Apr 20, 2011
    Male
    UK
    That is a shame. Networks should not be disabling download mode, but they do.
    There is another alternative and that is to pat a visit to a Samsung Service Centre (SSC) and they can update your phone for you. They will know how to re-enable download mode and get you on the latest firmware for T-Mobile.

Visit http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/location/supportServiceLocation.do?page=SERVICE.LOCATION , select your device and enter your postcode for the nearest SSC (assuming you are in the UK).

Best regards.

Ray