• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No USB Icon in Notifications

Xytsrm

May 28, 2021
Hello, this is my first post ;)

Recently acquired a Motorola ONE (currently running Android 10). While I was able to connect to my PC via USB, but the files did not display. When I went to Notifications to activate File-Transfer, the Icon was not there. I found the USB Icon in Setting>Connected-Devices.

From what I've read the USB Icon should appear in the Notifications when connected:
- Why don't I see the USB Icon in Notifications?
- Is there a way the have the Icon displayed in notifications when connected?

Thanks, X

I should have been clearer; I was ultimately able to connect to my PC and I can see the files on the phone, once I found the USB icon in settings and selected transfer-files. The only issue is that I had to go to Setting to find the USB icon. I've read that I should also find the USB Icon in the Quick Setting of the Notification page. But, the notification page does not show the USB Icon, even when the phone is connected to PC and transferring data.

Is there a way to put the USB Icon found in the Settings, ALSO in the Quick Settings of the Notification page?

Upvote 0
If you unlock the developer options menu (by finding the "build number" in the "about phone" menu and tapping on it until it tells you you are now a developer - don't ask why Google think this is cute) you can set the default USB connection type to file transfer. Then you won't need to locate this icon.

But I don't know what is wrong here, because it should appear in the notifications.

Upvote 0
If you unlock the developer options menu (by finding the "build number" in the "about phone" menu and tapping on it until it tells you you are now a developer - don't ask why Google think this is cute) you can set the default USB connection type to file transfer. Then you won't need to locate this icon.

But I don't know what is wrong here, because it should appear in the notifications.

Upvote 0
Hi Hadron,
I've already unlocked the Developer mode. I'd be concerned that if I default the USB to File Transfer, then it won't charge. It's possible that the data lines are used for smart charging, can't understand any other reason for the various modes (PC USB's can 'walk and chew gum' at the same time :D)
I believe they default the USB port to 'charge' because that's the most common operation. So if the phone can't 'charge' and 'file-transfer' simultaneously, I'll stick with charge as the default.

Also, not only does the USB icon not appear in the notifications, it does not appear in the settings under Connected Devices UNLESS the USB is physically connected to another device.

I would ask you, if you have a Motorola ONE 5G ACE with Android 10, does the USB icon appear in your phone's notifications?

Thanks, X.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have file transfer mode on by default and it charges just fine.

I don't have a Moto though, so can't say what is normal for that model.

Hadron,

Yes I was able to set the USB default to Data-Transfer, I expect it will also charge. I mistakenly thought one of the USB options was 'Charge'; there is no such option, it was defaulted to No-Data-Transfer. Still becoming familiar with the Android phone.

The USB Icon display is now of less concern.
Thanks, X

Upvote 0
Pull down your quick settings menu.
Find the little pencil, the 'edit' icon.

Tap that and then scroll all the way down to find the quick setting tiles that are not active.

Perhaps the USB quick setting tile is there, and can then be moved up into the quick setting tiles that are active.

puppykickr, Thanks for the suggestion. I looked, but it wasn't in the edit-mode either. I actually didn't think so because it does even show when it's active and connected.
It's become less important since I used the developer-mode to set the default to 'Transfer files'.

X.

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones