• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help No video playback Droid X

GatRoot

Lurker
Sep 11, 2011
I recorded a video on my Droid X and it will not play the video! When I go to gallery and tap on the video it says. Error File cannot be displayed or played. I am currently running 2.2.1 if that matters. I downloaded root explorer and did what a buddy told me to do and still no playback. HELP! I really want to see this video.

Are you using the stock player, or have you installed a 3rd Party media player? Are you also recording using the stock app or an app you've downloaded from the market?

You shouldn't have to convert files that you've recorded on the phone itself (unless you're using an app you've installed yourself and the stock player doesn't like the format).

If you transfer the file to a PC, will it play on that?

Upvote 0
Are you using the stock player, or have you installed a 3rd Party media player? Are you also recording using the stock app or an app you've downloaded from the market?

You shouldn't have to convert files that you've recorded on the phone itself (unless you're using an app you've installed yourself and the stock player doesn't like the format).

If you transfer the file to a PC, will it play on that?
El Presidente. I am opening it with the "stock" gallery on the phone and recording with the video camera on the phone "stock". Plus I dont know how to config to mpeg4.

Upvote 0
Are you recording at 720p? A quick google shows some issues recording at 720p using the standard Class 2 SD Card that comes with the phone. I take it you haven't replaced the SD Card at all?

Also, there are apparently issues with video playback on Froyo, if you go Settings -> About Phone -> Software Information, is your Android version start with 2.2 or 2.3?

Try a software update: Settings -> About Phone -> Software Updates Settings -> About Phone -> Check Now (that's what it is on my handset, it might differ slightly on yours).

Reactions: GatRoot
Upvote 0
Are you recording at 720p? A quick google shows some issues recording at 720p using the standard Class 2 SD Card that comes with the phone. I take it you haven't replaced the SD Card at all?

Also, there are apparently issues with video playback on Froyo, if you go Settings -> About Phone -> Software Information, is your Android version start with 2.2 or 2.3?

Try a software update: Settings -> About Phone -> Software Updates Settings -> About Phone -> Check Now (that's what it is on my handset, it might differ slightly on yours).
No I havent replaced the SD card. Its the one that was in it when I bought it. apparently ive been recording in 720p but other recordings in the same fashion can be played back. Version 2.2 is the one I have. As far as the class of SD card, hell i couldnt tell ya.

Upvote 0
Look at the card, it should tell you the size, then have a number in brackets after that. That's the class. It denotes the read/write speed of the card. I've had issues with class 2 on my handset when recording HD video, generally anything above Class 6 should be fine.

It's temperamental by the looks of things, it might not happen every time. Is there any way you can try another card?

Upvote 0
Look at the card, it should tell you the size, then have a number in brackets after that. That's the class. It denotes the read/write speed of the card. I've had issues with class 2 on my handset when recording HD video, generally anything above Class 6 should be fine.

It's temperamental by the looks of things, it might not happen every time. Is there any way you can try another card?
yeah it is a 16GB class 2 card.

Upvote 0
I have experienced this same phenomenon with the Droid X where some videos will not play back. I make lots of videos that come out fine. I have a strong hunch that the reason this happens is that there are a few seconds after you stop recording before you get your menu back. If you hit the back button after hitting stop on your video but before it can finish its end of recording process you will get a video that is unplayable. Its like it is finalizing the video or writing header records or something. Just a hunch but I believe that is it. If you still have the video it could be repairable with 3rd party video editors but not sure.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones