1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support No way to change the quality in the YouTube app?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by RealKC, Aug 24, 2016.

1. RealKC

RealKC Lurker
    None

Jun 20, 2016
    Male
    (Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, it was the section I thought this thread would fit the best)

I seem to be unable to change the quality of a video in the YouTube app. I use the version 11.29.55(which seems to be the latest as there is no update available).
    Screenshot_2016-08-24-17-02-49.png
    As you can see in the screenshot in the spoiler. I have no option to change the quality of the video. I have tried scrolling in that menu to see if it wasn't shown bellow "Captions" but that's not the case. Has the option been removed? If so, what is a good replacement for the official YouTube app in which I can change the quality?

Advertisement

2. lvt

lvt Android Expert

Jan 30, 2013
    Male
    Paris <--> Taipei
    Maybe it's not necessary because the app automatically selects the best quality that fits your device?

3. RealKC

RealKC Lurker
    None

Jun 20, 2016
    Male
    The problem is that it chooses 720p and I get a lot of buffering in 720p. Most of the time I choose 360p and the video is OK to watch.

4. RealKC

RealKC Lurker
    None

Jun 20, 2016
    Male
    Sorry for necroposting, but I thought I'd update this thread

I've updated to 11.33.58 and I've had the option to change the quality for one video, that have me hope, but nope, it was that only that video. I reported this using the "Send Feedback" option in the app. I'll try to watch a video and hope YouTube changes the quality to something that won't buffer.

I also kind of forgot to mention that I use a Vonino Orin HD tablet with Android 4.2.2(I sadly can't update to a newer version) and I'm on a WiFi connection. If the problem persists I'll contact the YouTube support.

5. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    On your tablet using whichever browser, go to http://speedof.me and do a quick bandwidth speed test. Post your resulting 'download' and 'latency' numbers.
    If you're getting stuttering on 720p video that indicates an issue more with either your broadband connection and/or your WiFi. Do you have issues using other streaming apps like Netflix, TED, Hulu, etc. or is Youtube the only sluggish one?

vosg likes this.
  6. RealKC

RealKC Lurker
    None

Jun 20, 2016
    Male
    First test I did, I got:
    Download: 0.68Mbps
    Upload: 2.31Mbps
    Latency: 194ms
    The other streaming service I used in the past was Cartooncrazy to watch FMA and FMA:B and I don't remember having this problem.

7. vosg

vosg Android Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Male
    Software Developer (retired)
    Antwerp, BE
    That's really very very slow. Try resetting your router and see if that helps.

8. RealKC

RealKC Lurker
    None

Jun 20, 2016
    Male
    After multiple speedtests, the highest download speed was 3.something Mbps and it appears that my upload speed is always around 3 times higher than my download speed, I'll probably see about contacting my ISP about this.

9. vosg

vosg Android Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Male
    Software Developer (retired)
    Antwerp, BE
    Yeah I get over 50 Gbps with 10 ms latency, so you really have a problem with your connection.

10. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    When you're doing any speedtest, you need to make sure there isn't anything else going on in your home network so if someone else is also doing something online (like watching a movie) do the speedtest when things settle down.

Note that even a 3 Mbps download speed is all that's necessary for a steady, standard def video. (... and in this case you only need to worry about download speed and latency, the upload speed is irrelevant in this matter.) Going by your initial speed tests those numbers are pretty low so it's not surprising you had issues. Are you using a cable or DSL connection? Also, what kind of wireless router to you have?

11. JAy3001

JAy3001 Android Expert

Dec 13, 2010
    Male
    UK
    Sounds like your on a DSL connection if you are only getting a 3mb's. You should perform a speed test making sure nothing else is using your connection at the time for a true speed result.

3mb is the minimum specs needed for streaming which is why you need to reduce the quality, maybe look into getting a cable or fibre connection?

The other issue you are facing may well be down to the android version your tablet is running, making the YouTube app incompatible with quality settings. Try using the YouTube webpage and see if you can adjust the quality on there. You may need to disable the YouTube app for this to work, as it may automatically send you to the app.

The other thing to try is on another device see if you have the same issues, ie a phone on a newer android version.