• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help No Web when connected to 3G on my HTC Desire

Newgrass

Lurker
Nov 12, 2008
When connected to 3G I can not browse any website, pages just fail to load and there is no specific error message. I have tried 4 different browsers, emptied the cache and history etc. Web browsing via wifi works fine.
However on 3G I can stream from Spotify, download and install apps, then use apps that require the internet to post info, like Twitter.
I can use Google maps, I can retrieve and send e-mail via Gmail, but I just can't browse the web.
I've scanned for virus's (none found), have had my local T-Mobile shop take a look and they were stumped too.
Any ideas?
Cheers

Unfortunately I can't offer a solution. I have exactly the same problem for several weeks already. Found out yesterday that if I set-up a wifi hotspot with my phone I can use another device to browse the web successfully!:thinking: Assuming that the wifi-hotspot feature is basically acting like a router towards the 3G network, this would lead to the conclusion that at least html traffic passes over the 3G connection. So it is not that there is some kind of firewall blocking the webbrowser.
I was wondering whether the browser traffic on the phone is somehow 'blocked' by an incorrect proxy or routing configuration, but I don't know of any way to test that (as far as I can see the proxy setting for my 3G connection is correct).

All help urgently welcome.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately I can't offer a solution. I have exactly the same problem for several weeks already. Found out yesterday that if I set-up a wifi hotspot with my phone I can use another device to browse the web successfully!:thinking: Assuming that the wifi-hotspot feature is basically acting like a router towards the 3G network, this would lead to the conclusion that at least html traffic passes over the 3G connection. So it is not that there is some kind of firewall blocking the webbrowser.
I was wondering whether the browser traffic on the phone is somehow 'blocked' by an incorrect proxy or routing configuration, but I don't know of any way to test that (as far as I can see the proxy setting for my 3G connection is correct).

All help urgently welcome.

well check you apn settings......

i have not excatlly same problem ..but for browsing on default browser i have to use different APN settings...while any other app require other APN settings ...means i have two APN ... i switch them accordingly...

Upvote 0
Dear amit_eighty8,

Thanks for your reply but:
- all applications that do not depend on the browser manage to use the APN configuration withour any problems. I get google maps, stock market stats, e-mail, newsfeeds (just can't switch to the full article because that requires the webbrowser), .... The only programs that are unable to get data off the 3G connection are webbrowser based programs.

Any other suggestions?
Maybe somebody has any ideas how to debug where things go wrong?

Upvote 0
Dear amit_eighty8,

Thanks for your reply but:
- all applications that do not depend on the browser manage to use the APN configuration withour any problems. I get google maps, stock market stats, e-mail, newsfeeds (just can't switch to the full article because that requires the webbrowser), .... The only programs that are unable to get data off the 3G connection are webbrowser based programs.

Any other suggestions?
Maybe somebody has any ideas how to debug where things go wrong?
well on which network you r and where:thinking:

Upvote 0
My network is Mobistar in Belgium, but I found it hard to believe that has anything to do with it. As indicated before, I can use the phone as a wifi hotspot and browse webpages from my laptop. At the network level that should not be any different from browsing with my phone directly??

I have nevertheless given the removal of the proxysetting a go and first test indicates that this may have solved the problem. So basically the proxyserver of my provider may have blocked me from browsing the web on my phone......!
I may need to have a word with them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones