• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help No Wi Fi After Update today!!???

Same thing happened to me. Factory reset the phone. Still nothing. I used Odin to flash the 2.3.4 files back, wifi works fine, then updated the phone to 2.3.6 again and wifi doesn't work again. I'm not sure what's going on but with the 2.3.6 update, my 3G speeds are hit or miss, either slow or fast, but not consistent, my 3G signal itself is horrible, and wifi doesn't work right. No matter how many times I reset the phone, factory reset it, or re-install the update, wi-fi still doesn't work right. I am trying to upload a video of it right now. It shows me turning the phone on, showing you it's running on 2.3.6, then performing a speed test on 3G, then turning on wifi, performing a speed test, then trying to open the internet browser, then another speed test, then google play, then another speed test, then maps and then a final speed test. The speed tests all work fine, but trying to use the wifi in an app doesn't work what so ever! This is ridiculous! Seriously contemplating about flashing it back to 2.3.4 and dealing with it until 5/31 and then buying the new HTC Evo 4G coming out for Boost! I'll post the video once it gets uploaded.

How, exactly, do you revert back to 2.3.4? I'm not a newbie, but I have never downgraded from an upgrade, so I don't really know how to do it.

Upvote 0
I just wanted to say that when my phone was losing the signal, going green to grey/white, I thought it was because they were working on the tower near my home upgrading to the 4g LTE. I have an app that uses the GPS and it was messing up seemed like I couldn't do anything without it falling. So after contacting the company they said that I needed to uninstall and then re-download it and fresh install. "This will eliminate any corrupt files that may be present." I did that and ever since I have had no problem with any of my connections 3g, GPS, phone connection or my WIFI, (I did do the suggestion Loota posted about using openDNS).

Upvote 0
Okay so I downloaded from google play "static wifi", which gave me my gateway, netmask,etc.... so I wrote those down and deleted the app... I didn't want two programs conflicting with each other. Under wi fi settings I entered the static ip info, turned off the phone, turned it back on and made sure ip static was selected and everything was wifi-ing again... still b.s. that this should have to be done

This worked for me!!!! Thanks Buddy

Upvote 0
Finally!! Just received a "Notice" that an "Android Update" was available. Rather hesitantly I accepted and downloaded the new Update. And it seems they have fixed the issue. My Wi-Fi is working properly again on the 2.3.6. So I would recommend trying to check for updates if your still having this connectivity issue, and see if it works for you. Just figured I would pass this bit of info on to everyone since we haven't heard anything positive about this problem in quite some time!!

Reactions: djshiva
Upvote 0
Finally!! Just received a "Notice" that an "Android Update" was available. Rather hesitantly I accepted and downloaded the new Update. And it seems they have fixed the issue. My Wi-Fi is working properly again on the 2.3.6. So I would recommend trying to check for updates if your still having this connectivity issue, and see if it works for you. Just figured I would pass this bit of info on to everyone since we haven't heard anything positive about this problem in quite some time!!

Just to make sure I'm reading this correct. You previously updated to 2.3.6 and it broke your wifi. Now you got a new update, still 2.3.6, but the wifi is fixed???

Upvote 0
Yes, that is correct. If you look back on page 1 you'll see I was one of the many that got the 2.3.6 and it totally jacked wi-fi. This evening I'm sitting here and my phone suddenly alerts me that a System Update is available. I click install now..and hold my breath because that's how all this started months ago. Once the phone re-booted and finished install I checked my Wi-Fi and it works perfectly now, and my Android Version still says 2.3.6.

Reactions: mydian
Upvote 0
I had a System Update this morning in Florida, I assume it was 2.3.6. I was half asleep so I clicked accept and it said it would reboot, I fell asleep again and woke up to the phone off. I checked version and it still says 2.3.4, I am running Transform Prime Rom so I don't know if I got it or not. I am getting better WiFi and 3G it seems today. Anyone have a clue?

Upvote 0
I live in Minnesota and I hadn't gotten the previous update sent out in May, and I've never rooted this phone. The screen issue is fixed, some visuals were updated, and wifi still works. I got the update this morning, well yesterday morning now, 8/1.

What all was updated besides the unlock screen no longer having slide buttons for unlock and mute/unmute, and the slide buttons to answer or reject a call look different, as well as some of the live wallpapers deleting while a few more were added, and a BoostZone app is now on the phone.

That's all I've noticed, anything else?

Upvote 0
Okay, guys. Woke up this morning to the New Update Available message, but I clicked Update Later, just in case.
Has anybody done it, yet? Does it cause.anymore new creepy issues? Does it by chance finally fix our wifi issues? I'm not letting myself get excited yet. Does annnnyone know what it does? Also, if I do decide to do it, in the menu, which option do I actually go bacl in there and tell it to update? Software? Version? Profile? Which one was it?
Hope to hear back from someone who can help asap!

Upvote 0
Okay, guys. Woke up this morning to the New Update Available message, but I clicked Update Later, just in case.
Has anybody done it, yet? Does it cause.anymore new creepy issues? Does it by chance finally fix our wifi issues? I'm not letting myself get excited yet. Does annnnyone know what it does? Also, if I do decide to do it, in the menu, which option do I actually go bacl in there and tell it to update? Software? Version? Profile? Which one was it?
Hope to hear back from someone who can help asap!

Go to 'settings/about phone/system updates/update Samsung software' to get the 2.3.6 (latest update).

I updated this morning and it completely fixed the screen sensitivity issues for me. Wifi works fine so far and everything else is pretty much just like alekia stated above your post.

I have not run into any issues yet, but I have not had the update for more than a few hours so time will only tell.

Upvote 0
I updated mine this morning. So far, so good. You can tell if you have the update because the swipe to unlock logo's are gone... now you just swipe anywhere on the screen...

my wifi at home is working, the real test will be if wifi works at public locations, ones that have a redirect server to ask you to accept terms/agreements, etc.... those are the ones that I wasn't able to get connected to with the last update.

guess I am going out to lunch today to test the update..

You would think Samsung would post a BIG update on here since they knew what they did and how many people were complaining.... Naaaaaa, why do the proper thing when you can just push an update out... They must have fired the PR employee some time ago.

Reactions: djshiva
Upvote 0
So far, so good! No problems yet with several reboots and my WiFi seems to be getting better results than before. I pick up signals and can connect everywhere I go. I have many access points saved now that I never noticed before. 3G seems to be better too. I drive a truck, and this morning going down a highway 24 miles through backwoods that I normally lose signal on while talking I listened to Pandora all the way through!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones