1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

No youtube on ICS? (RAZR MAXX) uninstall ics?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mike3214, Aug 14, 2012.

1. mike3214

mike3214 Lurker

I've had my Razr maxx for exactly a week and I love it. I updated to Ice Cream Sandwich the day after I got it and it made the entire phone a bit better except when it comes to videos. I can no longer watch any flash videos or any videos from youtube. I heard that ICS doesn't support flash but isn't youtube supposed to work (I heard it uses Html5 or something like that)? Even when i'm on 4G or on wi-fi, youtube videos won't work. I used the stock browser, the youtube app, Opera, Dolphin, skyfire, and nothing works. I cleared the cache, restored my phone, reinstalled adobe flash 11 but no luck. Is there any way I can uninstall ICS? The bells and whistles it comes with don't make up for loss of flash/youtube.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

You heard incorrect info.
    Flash was available for ICS shortly after its debut.
    I watched YouTube regularly when I was on ICS.

3. Rush

Rush {<>}~{<>}

Hi mike3214... . :)

Welcome aboard. I'm sure you should be able to watch videos on Youtube with Ice Cream Sandwich. Have you tried clearing data from the youtube app. Also, if your not getting good internet connection, you won't be able to watch video on youtube. (YouTube is an highly intensive data app that uses a [strong] internet connection to work.)

4. euph_22

euph_22 Android Expert

I think the OP is taking about watching YouTube in a browser. If that's the case, there is a way to force it to force YouTube to use html5 instead of flash (html5 will work with just about any browser, while flash generally doesn't work).

5. euph_22

euph_22 Android Expert

Go here: http://www.youtube.com/html5, click join trial on the bottom (if it says that), and YouTube should work.

Or just use the YouTube app, your choice.

MasterGadgets likes this.
  6. mike3214

mike3214 Lurker

I cleared the data from my youtube app but when I try to load a video, there is just a ring spinning around but nothing shows up, not even an ad. The comments, related videos, and info all show up except the video itself. I tried it using 4G LTE and Wifi (I have a stable and fast connection) but nothing works. I took off the high quality and the app just froze. I uninstalled the updates but that didn't help either.

7. mike3214

mike3214 Lurker

I used the link you posted, I agreed to HTML5 but it still isn't working. All that shows up is a ring spinning but nothing ever loads up.

8. rnlcomp

rnlcomp Android Enthusiast

Do a factory reset and your video problem will be fixed.

9. cyde01

cyde01 Newbie

been having the same problem, really don't wanna do a factory reset. i decided to go with android rather than ios years ago because of flash support. i live in the US but watch a lot of japanese TV shows online by way of embedded videos in the browser. probably did this on my previous android more than any other function of the phone. now this is no longer an option, and the android app for the video site sucks!!! none of the content i wanna watch is available in the app. i have flash player 11.1 and air 3.3 installed and have tried the stock browser and dolphin with no success... would almost like to go back to gingerbread for this feature but not excited about doing a factory reset.

10. gkperformance

gkperformance Newbie

This sucks period!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. gkperformance

gkperformance Newbie

Well after much trial and error, I watched hunger games last night with my maxx! I tried all the flash player apps and all the tricks and about everything you could do. Long story short I went to YouTube and bought the movie but it would not play anyway I tried so I saved it to favorites while signed into Google/YouTube account of course. Tried and tried and was about to give up! For the heck of it I went to the Google movie watching app that came on the phone and clicked on it and guess what. It had the movie in there because I was still signed into youtube/Google and it played like awesome dude! Maybe this will help someone out because I could not get any help that worked so I just winged it. Oh and by the way I was streaming through my phone to my HD TV through the HDMI port. My kids have watched many Netflix movies on my phone but could not get anyone else to do it until last night. I don't know what format Netflix is in but they will work perfect through my phone to TV? Anyway problem solved!

12. Grey1001

Grey1001 Android Enthusiast

congrats on getting it working on something

13. owlsbrat

owlsbrat Newbie

You can watch full flash content and all the youtube vids you want! Use google chrome browser. Make sure you have adobe flash and adobe air installed. It all works perfect on my device!

14. euph_22

euph_22 Android Expert

Chrome doesn't support flash.

15. gkperformance

gkperformance Newbie

I could watch all I wanted on the phone and I had all of what you mentioned. The problem came for me trying to play it out of the HDMI output to my TV. I could watch YouTube videos and even the trailers from the few places I tried streaming from including YouTube. Buy the movie hit play and bam need to upgrade flash player or video format not supported or some crap! Anyway hopefully everyone else does not have these problems, but Google RAZR maxx video and nothing but problems. It would have probably been OK if I did a factory data reset after ics but didn't want too:)

16. rnh

rnh Guest

The only way to get flash on stock ICS is a workaround. Try Puffin browser which has flash on it's remote servers. If you like it you can buy it for three dollars after a 14 day trial. The stock ICS OS does not support flash, and if you need hdmi out and flash support then this is the only solution. If you do not need hdmi out you can get flash by rooting, installing ICS safestrap and using any cm9 or aokp rom such as Koa or Full Throttle. Just search the web on how to do these procedures. I hopre this clarifies and helps. You cannot go back to gingerbread.

17. owlsbrat

owlsbrat Newbie

Works for me. I have adobe air and flash installed and use chrome. I can watch all youtube vids. And sites with flash content all load properly.

18. rnh

rnh Guest

You tube doesn't work with flash. Any video you get in the standard browser is being displayed via html5.

19. cyde01

cyde01 Newbie

woah puffin sucks as a browser but it works like a charm for flash videos! thanks! and no chrome does not work, if it were that easy i never would have posted the issue on the forum.

20. owlsbrat

owlsbrat Newbie

Strange. Then how is it that all youtube stuff plays perfect for me in chrome? Thats mostly the only browser i use now.

21. rnh

rnh Guest

Like Netflix, you tube provides flash from it's own servers. you can also get you tube in html5 now. see Mike3214 post above.

22. owlsbrat

owlsbrat Newbie

Ok. Even still why is it that chrome works for me and not others?

23. rnh

rnh Guest

You Tube videos are animated by flash through you tube's own servers. You can also recieve you tube using html5. See euph_22 post above. Again, stock ICS does not support adobe flash player. You tube and puffin browser supply adobe flash from their own servers. Don't believe me? Use the stock or chrome browser and go to abc or nbc or cbs.com and try to play an episode. Watch what happens - " this content requires adobe flash player..."- even if you have it installed the ICS OS doesn't recognize it. Go ahead - try it. Go to abc.com and try to play an episode. Seeing is believing.

24. cyde01

cyde01 Newbie

Yeah youtube is not the only site with video. I've heard very common sites such as the above mentioned and espn, mlb do not work. Its dumb that adobe is forcing the content providers to adopt html5 early when its use is really not wide spread.

25. owlsbrat

owlsbrat Newbie

Ok. I see exactly what you mean now. Abc.com does not play in stock or chrome. I fully understand now what you mean by the html5. I do however like to watch southpark episodes and the only browser i can get them to play in is dolphin hd.

Motorola Droid RAZR Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews