• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Noise Cancellation setting?

Psychokitty

Android Enthusiast
Dec 14, 2009
In the forum dog house.
I could swear I had de-selected a "noise cancellation" option in a menue somewhere in an effort to get my Droid to sound better during calls, but i can't for my life find it. (-Was I tripping?)
Since then, I've removed my cheap-ass made-by-not-Motorola case after realizing (via this forum) that it was covering up the exterior microphone.
Calls still sound like crap to me, but at least people can hear me better, I think.

Anyway, if there's the noise cancellation opt and I wasn't dreaming or severely confused, can someone point me in the direction of that?

Thankyas' muchly!:D

What setting in what programming menu?

dial ##program (security code 000000) to get to the programming menu. under vocode settings, some people have reported noticeable improved call quality by changing to evrc-b. i don't notice a difference.

OP: what issues are you having? mine has had a slight static since it was new...not bad enough that i'm gonna return it, but kind of annoying. i've changed vocode settings, voice privacy...nothing changes it.

Upvote 0
OP: what issues are you having? mine has had a slight static since it was new...not bad enough that i'm gonna return it, but kind of annoying. i've changed vocode settings, voice privacy...nothing changes it.
Mine has a digital sounding echo that I can sometimes hear, and it's my voice I'm hearing through the phone delayed. Others complain that I sound "muffled". I can hear others fine, but not very loud, and I wouldn't say "crystal", either.
I have done the program # change mentioned earlier.

Upvote 0
dial ##program (security code 000000) to get to the programming menu. under vocode settings, some people have reported noticeable improved call quality by changing to evrc-b. i don't notice a difference.

Be careful with this setting. There's some posts either here or on the Moto forum about people losing voice altogether on evrc-b if it's not been implemented in their area. I've been on the 13k vocode since I got the phone and it sounds pretty good. As I understand it, setting the phone on evrc will allow it to switch to the evrc-b standard when it's available which provides greater compression and thus is more efficient for the carriers. If you live in an area that has evrc-b implemented, then you're already on evrc-b and forcing it to evrc-b has no effect. But if you happen to be in a market that hasn't implemented evrc-b then forcing the phone to evrc-b results in losing voice. The 13k setting uses the least amount of compression but the greatest bandwidth so in theory voice quality should be better. Seems a bit better for me. I've always changed my phones to 13k and never had a problem.

Reactions: Psychokitty
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones