• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Noise caused by car charger

LeepyLee

Jul 26, 2011
know if anyone else has noticed this but if I play music through the car stereo at the same time as charging the phone, I can hear a loud buzzing or gurgling noise that is notable during quiet bits in the music. This interference stops as soon as the charger is disconnected. I've tried two different chargers and both cause the same noise.

know if anyone else has noticed this but if I play music through the car stereo at the same time as charging the phone, I can hear a loud buzzing or gurgling noise that is notable during quiet bits in the music. This interference stops as soon as the charger is disconnected. I've tried two different chargers and both cause the same noise.

Ya that is common. Every phone I have had does this when charging in my car. My S2 is no different :(

Upvote 0
Problem is most car chargers don't use a noise filter as they don't think about you using phone with sound system. A car's electrical is very noisy, some things make it worse (cracked/worn spark plug cables for example). The sound amp circuit in the phone just amplifies this noise. Years ago many cheap aftermarket radios had this same problem and would require a noise filter on the power input. I have an old high quality noise filter for stereos that I wired into my cigarette lighter power to prevent this. Now its like all of my chargers have the noise filter, well in my car anyway.

Just a note, most diesel cars don't have this issue. Electrically they are very quiet.

Reactions: xmancool2
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones