• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Noisey zoom mechanism

DanGti6

Lurker
Oct 8, 2012
Hi all.

Ive had my 'T' for a couple of weeks now and all in all I am happy with it. The screen is just amazing!

I do have one major issue with it; When re-focusing in both video and photo mode the zoom mechanism on the lens makes a clicking sound. This is fine for photos as it doesn't affect the photograph, but in video mode it ruins any footage especially if in a quiet environment.

It would appear that the microphone at the top of the phone is very close to the lens hence it picking up the noise of the mechanism.

"Surely Sony wouldnt design their range topping camera to have an imposing clicking noise all over your 1080p HD footage" I thought.

With this in mind I promptly returned the handset to the retailer which they happily exchanged. I tested the new handset when I got home only to find that it was the same!

Has anyone else had this issue?

I can't imagine that I have recieved two faulty handsets back to back and can only assume that the mic was poorly designed and placed too close to the lens.

Cheers.
Dan.

just watched some sample videos on the internet. The noise is god awful. Looks like they are all like that. Mine comes tomorrow and I will probably send it back. I have had the HTC one x and sent that back . More problems than any phone I have had. I may have to try a Samsung galaxy.
Weird!
If its digital zoom though why the noise?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones