1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Noisy camera/shutter on note 3

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mgb, Apr 16, 2014.

1. mgb

mgb Newbie
    None

Jul 18, 2010
    Male
    Hello everyone:

I recently purchased a verizon N3. Before that I had the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, which was rated the best phone a mere 2+ years ago. One of the great features on that phone was the zero lag/shutter on the camera. You could shoot photos as fast as your fingers were capable.

Its now going on 3 weeks since I bought my N3 and have been taking pictures. My two biggest beef(s) are the NOISE that the shutter makes. It reminds of my grandfather old instamatic cameras. When I press the button to shoot, you can hear the shutter a good 15 feet away.

My second beef is the duration between shots. Oh how I missed my SGN whereI could shoot RAPIDLY in almost whisper mode. I tried invain to figure out how to address these problems in the settings but to no avail.

Anyone else has/had this problem(s)..

Advertisement

2. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    Hi MGB and welcome to Android Forums!

I didn't like the shutter sound either, so I installed Camera Awesome by SmugMug Inc. from Play. It actually has an option for a SILENT SHUTTER* and has other great options, without all the unnecessary bells and whistles of the stock app.

*- Check your local laws before using a camera app without a shutter sound, as it is ILLEGAL in many areas. I am not responsible for anyone's incarceration or legal fees as a result of using a silent shutter app ;)

:)

mgb likes this.
  3. lterry913

lterry913 Member
    None

Apr 14, 2010
    I knoe some note 3's have shutter sound settings...mine doesn't so I am guessing yours doesn't either...I didn't want to change camera app so I use silent snap paid app because I don't like the add in the free...you could try the free to see if it worlks how you like then pay if you don't like the adds...This app just overrides volume control while in the camera app and the resumes volume where you left off when you close camera...The only problem I had but have solved is if you are running a volume profile app you must set it to ignore silent snap or third party camera apps.
    Some use tasker to silence camera and others just turn volume down prior to snapping picture...all work. I have installed some camera apps that claim to silence shutter but none seem to take as good and clear pictures as the one built into phone...I am not a phtographer but I did compare some images and the stock won. Some apps have disclaimers saying they will not work with all phones so try the free first if you want to make sure.
    I have used silent snap on all my phones and it works like a charm as long as your sound profile apps don't interfere with it...if you are even using a sound profile app.

4. drexappeal

drexappeal Extreme Android User
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Male
    Entertainment Industry
    West LA, CA
    no need for a 3rd party app anymore, since the XDA's made the slient camera apk work again. I've been using it on my Note 3, since I found the post in a round about way. Here's my post in the original camera silent thread:

http://androidforums.com/6325669-post52.html

5. Simon_Gardner

Simon_Gardner Android Expert
    None

Jun 13, 2013
    Twitter @Simon_Gardner
    Indeed - CameraMute works just fine.

(Some US versions of the Note 3 also have an option to turn off the noise too.)

6. Xxmen

Xxmen Member
    None

May 13, 2012
    Somehow it does not work on the N9005, just tried it but sound still there:thinking:

7. drexappeal

None

Apr 8, 2010
    Male
    Entertainment Industry
    West LA, CA
    After side loading the app, did u open app and activate?

8. Xxmen

Xxmen Member
    None

May 13, 2012

If you mean "Enable", yes but I still had the sound, even tap on the test but that was no help.

Can you confirm that you mean Enable to activate or where to find the activate?

Thanks.

9. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Even if you get rid of the click, the speed situation remains. Read the reviews on the S5 and you'll see that one of the common gripes is the slow recovery time, picture to picture. It's evidently a Samsung thing.

Xxmen likes this.
  10. pete69spet

pete69spet Newbie
    None

Dec 31, 2013
    Male
    Edmonton, Alberta
    I have found that if you set your Note to vibrate, the camera (stock one that I use) is quite silent.

11. drexappeal

None

Apr 8, 2010
    Male
    Entertainment Industry
    West LA, CA
    It's been said multiple times before. There are certain US carriers, that remove the possibility of silencing the shutter for privacy purposes.

12. MrClean

MrClean Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 27, 2010
    Male
    Telecom
    KC MO
    The only 3rd party camera app I've tried is 'A Better Camera'. No shutter sound and it includes a macro setting that lets you get closer to items than the stock app does. The only drawback (for me), is the app says KitKat does not allow saving to the SD card.

13. Simon_Gardner

Simon_Gardner Android Expert
    None

Jun 13, 2013
    Twitter @Simon_Gardner
    This is the stupid and very major thing wrong with kitkat and it applies across the board to all 3rd party apps.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 launched in 2012 and was the company's flagship phablet. The device featured a 5.7-inch display with a 1920 x 1080 resolution, 3GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 13MP main camera.