1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Nokia 8.3/AndroidOne v Pixel 3a/stock Android

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mutie, May 16, 2020.

1. mutie

mutie Lurker

I want to upgrade my Android, and keep as close to stock Android as possible.

I like my current Nokia 6.1, so wondered about the new Nokia 8.3 (both run AndroidOne) as a replacement.

I've just seen, though, that the Nokias don't even feature in Wirecutter's reviews, while they recommend the Pixel 3a, partly for its stock Android.

Has anyone seen a good comparative review? Does anyone have advice one way or the other?

Thanks!

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Android One is pretty stock, probably about as much so as the Pixel: "stock android" should really mean AOSP, whereas the Pixel has a Pixel-specific launcher and replaces many AOSP apps with Google ones (I have a Pixel 2).

There are plenty of other review sites out there, though I take all reviews with a pinch of salt (many reviewers have their own tastes and prejudices, and they are all vulnerable to corporations punishing those who don't write favourably enough, e.g. by witholding review devices - something some of the biggest names in the business have done), and can be prone to groupthink. So I'd be very reluctant to rely on just one site myself but to see how many you can find (maybe I'd take an Anandtech review at face value, but they don't review large numbers of devices).

My only experience of Nokias is that my son and his partner both have Nokia 8's and seem happy with them. But that's not the 8.3, so probably doesn't add to what you already know from your experience.

mutie likes this.
  3. mutie

mutie Lurker

Thanks @Hadron : I didn't know Anandtech, so looked it up (ah, no Nokia).

Off the top of your head, is it fair to ask whether you would be more interested in a Nokia 8.3 or a Pixel 3a?

4. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

It might be a little unfair, because my requirements won't be the same as yours.

Technically the Nokia wins easily: newer processor, more storage (SD expansion, plus I believe there's a 128GB version while I think the 3a is 64GB or nothing, and I'm already using more than 64GB). So if I were seriously asking that question I'd wait a few weeks and see what the Pixel 4a is like (no announced release date, but all the rumours say "soon"). Personally though I don't like large phones: if anything I'd prefer slightly smaller than my Pixel 2 (not XL), so the Nokia 8.3 isn't on my list for that reason. However that may be one of the main attractions to someone else!

mutie likes this.
  5. mutie

mutie Lurker

Thanks @Hadron - yes, very good point about waiting for the 4a's release. My preferences sound like yours: something that fits in my pocket and has enough storage that I'm not worrying about photos, apps taking up space.

6. tommo47

tommo47 On Yer Bike, In Yer Chair
    VIP Member

Having had a Pixel 3a for just over 5 months, I'm still very pleased with it. Moving from HTC after 9 years, ending with the 10, which was 32GB but does cater for an SD card (I had a 16GB card) but had plenty of storage space on both internal shared and the card so I knew that the 64GB Pixel 3a would meet my needs.

I just hope I get better battery life than I had with my HTC M9 and the 10 which both started to fail after two years use.

Only time will tell, but for now I'm more than happy with the Pixel 3a, as is my wife, we had one each.

:)

mutie likes this.