1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Nokia & android a love story?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Socrat3s, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Socrat3s

Socrat3s Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 7, 2011
    Should Nokia create android devices? Just looking at the nokia N9 you can tell they have the quality to make android better. Especially there multitasking capabilities:).

Advertisement

2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    With their CEO being a quisling from Microsoft, and another 3500 cut from their workforce this week, Symbian retired, their new commitment to Microsoft only, and their probable agents trying hard to spam us for months to discredit Android, I'd say that any chance of them deciding to go with Android is right up there with a fire in the freezer.

If anything, Microsoft is going to buy them out - when they're done gutting the place from within, if there's anything or any reason left to buy the dead remains.

Gmash likes this.
  3. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Android Expert
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    Looks like Nokia is going to release something called S40. They want to maintain market share in less developed nations where they have been a mainstay.
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2011/09/is-nokias-s40-replacement-os-a-defense-against-android-feature-phones.ars?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+arstechnica%2Findex+%28Ars+Technica+-+Featured+Content%29

The main line of phones will be Windows. The N9 is Meego. I wouldn't mind having that. Nokia also used really good lenses in the cameras. The N8 had a Zeiss lens, plus flash. Camera buffs were giving it glowing reviews and wanting a forum section for the N9 on Digital Photography Review.

EarlyMon likes this.
  4. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Uh, s40 has been around for like 6 years. Nokia dumbphones run on s40 software. Currently, the latest Nokia smartphones (c2-03 etc) are running on the 7th version of s40.

EarlyMon likes this.
  5. zuben el genub

None

Jan 24, 2011
    Most of the apps I could find ran S60V5 or S60V3. Never saw too many S40. Maybe they updated it to modernize it. There was an extremely large user group from India and other points east.

They liked the phones like the C6, but wanted more apps that ran better for social media and games. The article didn't say if S40 had been updated. I just thought it had. Maybe it's a newer OS. There were quite a few rather unsavory type sites to download S60 apps.

But they are trying to keep that niche. I wound up reading a lot of those Eastern forums just for better answers and other links that would bypass OVI. These people want phones that function like the Iphone or Android, but have phone rules that seem to be very limiting about data. They can't have programs downloading where and when the programs want. They will use Skype, Fring or some VOIP and anything they can to cut costs. The C6 could be set up as wifi only. It also had a decent SIP client. OVI was trying to be a social portal - don't know if they are still at it or what.
    In fact, the Skype I downloaded worked on wifi and would hand off to 1800. Ovi did not want the US and western Europe to have it. My C6 is in England and functioning that way.

EarlyMon likes this.
  6. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice
    None

Nov 28, 2009
    It is disappointing. If Nokia ever made a decent android phone (or any android phone) I would buy it in a heartbeat!

7. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    s40 runs java apps. Head off to daily mobile and you can see where to download lots of s40 java apps. I used to have a Gameboy emulator on my old Nokia 5610, which ran on s40v5.

At any rate, you should head off to the official Nokia Support Discussions if you wanted to know something about anything Nokia anyway.

At any rate, the link you posted seems to be looking at the rather very low end of the phone spectrum.

8. !on

!on Android Expert
    None

Aug 14, 2011
    Male
    UK
    So basically we want 8 (or more) megapixel cameraphone with Carl Zeiss lens. It's not just Nokia that could do that, surely?

If anything I would look to people like Sony Ericsson. If you put them next to Nokia, well let's see: both were doing music & camera phones. Nokia beat Cybershot with the decent lenses. But SE Walkman beat Nokia music due to their pedigree in making, er, Walkmans.

Androids achilles heel is it's music player. Anyone can give it more megapixels, optics & flash. I think the real job is to turn an Android device into music phone with proper headset controls. They should place the USB near the headphone jack which could double as a headset remote.... But then SE do still cling on to their own "data port" & "memory stick" :mad:

9. zuben el genub

None

Jan 24, 2011
    I had an OVI account which allowed all the forums.

This new Nokia is the lower end of the spectrum, but Nokia does have a lot of followers in that area.
    I read all of the forums. The outlook from each section from the moderators could be totally different and educating.

I'm not sure about the Java, but I had a Palm emulator on the C6. Resurrected all the Palm apps I had.

I had to hunt for Skype. Skype said it had the version for S60V5, but OVI said that I couldn't download. I rather think it was the contract between Skype and Verizon.
    That version worked on network and would hand off to wifi. Or vice versa. Not just wifi only.

Like some Android apps, the links would take you back to OVI rather than the SDK file.
    Some of the rogue sites, especially for animated screens really looked like - no words to describe the sites.

10. zuben el genub

None

Jan 24, 2011
    Finally found a post about a new Nokia OS. If this one does run true linux, and I can run a portable version of open source Stellarium, and/or native Palm, I'll switch. You have to be able to customize also. I don't want to hear about OVI again.

Meltemi Is Real: Nokia's Skunkworks Linux